Trumpet Discussion Discuss Looking for info on restoration in the General forums; first off what do you all have to say about a Martin Committe with the serial # putting it at ...
    New Friend
    where havn't I lived?

Looking for info on restoration

first off what do you all have to say about a Martin Committe with the serial # putting it at about 1940/42? It appears to be in good condition, but it is not in my hands yet so that is yet to be seen.?

Next where / who should I take it to to re restored? How much should I put in to it?

I know there is always many opinions on these horns, at least the Martins that do not fall in the "coveted" years... I beleive this is not in that bracket. As I understand it is an "imperial" and that became a student line in that time line (1940/42). This matter not to me I also understand that it was still a fine horn and I feel lucky to have found this one.

So any and all info is welcome

LA/Lake Tahoe/NYC

Re: Looking for info on restoration

If you are in the LA area, take it in to Anbrass in valencia. (see my recent post in this forum). I just got some work done there and they are great. They will give you a free quote. If major work needs to be done (like valve re-builds, new leadpipes, etc...) then it could cost you over a grand. I just had an idea, throw a larson lead-pipe on that horn and it would probably make it a monster!

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

Quote Originally Posted by waller.zan View Post
    ...How much should I put in to it?...
    That depends on why you are acquiring it. If you are a collector and you expect it to add more value to your collection than you have in it, then you will need to do a very careful cost analysis which will depend on how much you paid for the core, how long you plan to keep it, what the Obama stimulus package will do for inflation between now and when you decide to sell it (a trivial component, to be sure), and so on.

If you plan to play it, then you need to decide how much the sound is worth vs how much the eye-candy-factor is worth. Only you can decide that. But, in any case, let us see the before-and-after photos. We loooove to drool and snort over other's possessions (if they are made of brass).

BTW, Welcome to TM. We have a great community here. Why not go to the Introductions and Greetings section and post some background information about yourself. We like to get to know the newcomers and more people will see your intro there.

Good luck.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

New Friend
    where havn't I lived?

to: come-back kid,

I will post photos as soon as I am able, I just won the bid for it and I do not have photos to upload. I can tell you that it is a Martin handcraft #136575 with a big crown surrounding "imperial" engraved at the bottom of the bell flair. It seem to have quite a bit more engraving than the other Martin's I've seen (save the ornatly engraved ones, it doesn't seem to be super fancy no flowers and such).

I understand the Serial #136575:
    puts it around 19040/42, there seem to be some debate over the (Imperial) around this time. But it looks to be in good shape no dents or scraps and very little if any visible wear, so I couldn't pass it up.

I will keep it as original as possible, and avoid the "eye cand" factor (I'd buy a new custom horn if thats what I wanted) I am just looking to referbish it to attain a playability standard, and use it as a playing horn.

and I will add some info in my profile soon... PS I am deployed to Camp Victor Iraq with the 56th Army Band, so any shop I send it to will be shiped there.

Fortissimo User
    Greenfield WI

There are some who swear up and down that relacquering a vintage horn will make a huge difference in the sound. While it might make a small difference in the feedback a person gets, the truth of the matter is that memory is imperfect and if you believe it's very different then it will be very different.

If you have the original lacquer mostly intact, it might be prudent to leave it that way. If it's flaked off in multiple places and you need dent work anyways, you might as well go all the way and relacquer it. The new epoxy lacquers are tough and acid resistant and will help protect the horn. Believe it or not, epoxy lacquer can be stripped, so if someone else in the future wants to buy that horn and just hates it, they can strip it to raw if they like.

It came from the factory bright and shiny and I see no reason it can't be made bright and shiny again. But do see how much of the original lacquer is intact before you make your decision.

Thread Information