Trumpet Discussion Discuss Looks like someone might steal this horn in the General forums; Still looking cheap to me. I love the way the Schilke Horns play. If you need a horn, this ...
    Lafayette, LA, USA

Looks like someone might steal this horn

Still looking cheap to me. I love the way the Schilke Horns play. If you need a horn, this one might be a pretty good buy!
    C - Harrelson 750 Modified Bach Strad
    Picc - Schilke P5-4
    Flugel - Kanstul ZKF1525
    Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37
    Bb - Bach Strad LT 180L-43

Fortissimo User
    Yee HAW!
    Well, the s/n puts this one in the "Yamalloy valve" category. It is an M1 model which means there is definitely some Yamaha input... the price seems to be about right for the "M" series. There have, however, been a number of players reporting that the "M" horns can be quite good if the valves have been reworked or if for some reason they've never developed the sticking problem.

Would probably be worth it if someone lived nearby the folks who can do the "Yamalloy valve fix".

Toronto, ON Canada
    I have a MII in the 26600 range that I bought new in '82 and I've NEVER had any problems with the valves. But you are right, the current bid is about what you can expect for an MI, the MII normally goes a little higher.

While I know that some of the parts are Yamaha and that the Schilke team didn't spend the same amount of time assembling them as they did their custom horns they are still excellent horns. Anything that bears the Schilke name is great!

Olds Ambassador, Special, Super, Recording, Mendez, Custom Bb & C trumpets/GR Butcher 65.6M
    Olds Opera & Ambassador A6 Shepherds Crook cornets/Sparx 4B
    Olds L-12 Flugelhorn, GR/Melk Leadpipe, GR Butcher 65.6FL

Thread Information