Trumpet Discussion Discuss Lose the battle = Win the war in the General forums; In my own practice I am trying to develop the ability to have the most amount of results with the ...
    New Friend

Lose the battle = Win the war

In my own practice I am trying to develop the ability to have the most amount of results with the least amount of effort and here is what I am finding... feel free to post a comment or thought.

When practicing big trumpet or piccolo trumpet I dedicate a certain amount of time to playing soft in all registers... mostly I'll do this with Petrouchka (sp?), piccolo rep and etudes. I am finding that the quality of sound isn't as consistent or as clear across the scale yet, but I do have moments when I'll be in a register when I can play with a pretty open (velvety) sound and the texture of my body doesn't have to push or work... the sound just seems to happen.

So, I'll assume that over time I'll get to where I can play more things across the scale of the instrument and allow myself to not get in the way. This skill is more of being able to concentrate on exactly where I begin to 'work' and where is it 'easy' and then being able to slowly expand that comfort zone.

All of this stems from seeing dave bilger up close.... and thinking... I have got to make playing trumpet look that easy..... to work.

Mezzo Forte User
    Dubai, UAE
    I pretty much have similar goals to yours.

I've been using Caruso to achieve that but I guess there are lots of answers, depending on the player.

Like you the realisation came when looking and listening to really good players peddle their craft. Without exception (well there may be some) no matter what the music required from them physically it all looked very natural and in the case of truly gifted players, easy. Part of the benefit, for me, has been that as I've made it easier for myself my sound is a lot more consistent at the edges of my range (high and low) as well as intonation and ability to play at extreme dynamic levels at the edges of my range (why don't I just say control?). :)

I think efficiency is the key here. Different players have different ways of achieving it but all good players, I would guess, have to play efficiently.

I would also love to hear Manny's thoughts.

Utimate User
    Gentle sight-readers,

As we are visual creatures I concur with the idea that what we see is of immeasurable help to the psychological part of trumpet plying. Those of us that are impressionable rely on the memories of what we see to help stimulate the thoughts that inspire us! For others it's what they hear.

The bottom line is however that by watching/listening to efficient players we go a long way to improving ourselves as players and musicians. We were not designed to play musical instruments. We were designed to survive and deal with life. dealing with life is best done efficiently. Only work hard at those things which require great physical strength and extroardinary mental focus. The rest must be dealt with efficiently so that we can endure.

Learning to play easily and gently in the high register will go a long way to preparing us for comfortable performances of the 2nd Brandenburg. Learning to produce massive volume without encountering great resistance gets us through a Mahler 2nd without breaking a sweat. And so on... .

I applaud you for looking at playing efficiently with patience and the notion that all good things come over time with consistent practice and keen observation.

Thread Information