Trumpet Discussion Discuss The Louis Maggio Emboucher Studies: in the General forums; Anybody familiar with them? I want to become a player who is a strong lead player but not one that ...
    Pianissimo User

The Louis Maggio Emboucher Studies:

Anybody familiar with them? I want to become a player who is a strong lead player but not one that has to use rediculously shallow mouthpieces to be able to play; i want mastery of the registers and my teacher has recommended these studies; even from the clinics with Arturo Sandoval have they been suggested.

Thing is; how do I start out with them? They are so difficult when it comes to emboucher placement.
    Schilke X3 - Bach 3C
    Yamaha Yfh 8310z- Shew Flgl.

Re: The Louis Maggio Emboucher Studies:

It is not a DIY method. You start by getting a teacher that successfully uses it. ANY embouchure change needs to be monitored by someone with real qualifications.

DIY approaches are only guesstimates with the odds being in favor of failure.

My advice, don't go this without individual, qualified, local help!

Everybody wants something for nothing. There is a relationship between the two.........
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Pianissimo User

I've been using the Maggio exercises for a couple of weeks now, however, I've kept my embouchure the same as before. They're working for me, but I have been using them with guidance from my teacher - it was he that introduced me to them. I agree with Rowuk in that you need the guidance from a teacher, I'm not an expert but I know I couldn't have done it without.

Nick
    Nick Jolly

Life is something like a trumpet. If you don't put anything in, you won't get anything out. - William Christopher Handy

Quote Originally Posted by tutin_trumpeta View Post
    I've been using the Maggio exercises for a couple of weeks now, however, I've kept my embouchure the same as before. They're working for me, but I have been using them with guidance from my teacher - it was he that introduced me to them. I agree with Rowuk in that you need the guidance from a teacher, I'm not an expert but I know I couldn't have done it without.

Nick
    We measure embouchure change success in YEARS not WEEKS. There is no way that you can say it works until you are well into the program. You simply have some arrangement now that still allows you to play.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Pianissimo User

I fear I may have responded rather hastily to the OP without explaining myself.
    Rowuk, I appreciate what you're saying, having changed from a really bad embouchure set-up about 7 years back with amazing amounts of help from my previous teacher (sadly no longer with us).
    What I meant was that as exercises they are improving a number of aspects of my playing, e.g. improving my upper range (not increasing it (I'm happy with it as it is) but improving the tone up there as they help me to relax). I can feel the start of the improvements but my teacher has also pointed them out.

Sorry for any misunderstanding ,

Nick
    Nick Jolly

Life is something like a trumpet. If you don't put anything in, you won't get anything out. - William Christopher Handy

Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    It is not a DIY method. You start by getting a teacher that successfully uses it. ANY embouchure change needs to be monitored by someone with real qualifications.
    Yeah, thats what i thought i was gonna get; now to begin the search for it! Too bad I can't just get Arturo Sandoval to teach me it!
    Schilke X3 - Bach 3C
    Yamaha Yfh 8310z- Shew Flgl.

Fortissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by jerec576 View Post
    ...my teacher has recommended these studies...
    Since your teacher recommended these, can (s)he not give you some guidance about the best and most effective way to use them to accomplish your goals in accordance with accepted guidelines and practices that ensure increasing strength and not damage to your playing and embouchure?
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Thread Information