Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Low Notes for warm -up in the General forums; I am a come back player and have been playing since Feb. I was wondering is it ok to play ...

Low Notes for warm -up

I am a come back player and have been playing since Feb. I was wondering is it ok to play low notes as a warm up meaning below low C then B flat all the way down to F sharp , Thanks Anthony

Piano User

Re: Low Notes for warm -up

I think low notes are fine for warm up. More blood to the tissue and your lips stay relaxed and supple. I warm up with low notes and pedal tones with good results.

Thanks for your reply I wonder why more players dont use low notes as warm ups ,Anthony

We do Tony, don't make a big deal of it. When I have enough time I use a warm up from a book written by the the professor in Zurich Conservatoire (Musik Hochschule), Claude Rippas, the book is called Warm-Up from the middle Woodbrass Music SA - Sheet Music - Methods - CD - Instruments and accessories - Einspielen aus der Mitte - Rippas Claude

Basically is slurred long tones starting from low C down to F (f is played with all 3 valves down and extended 3rd slide) and back up by adding one note more which is D. Every time played you add another note up of the F major scale. The whole method is based on starting with the middle register and expanding range in both directions.

Nick I - freelance wellness consultant
    My online store
    The Official Group of Nick I
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada to come...

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

I prefer using middle range notes for a warm-up usually the 3rd space C and then work my down using arpeggios to peddle C then back up to C in staff,then up an octave , then up another one I feel it helps me set my embouchure for anything I may see on the band stand.

Mezzo Forte User

ledger down as low as you want.

A warm up should always be informal, non-ritual, and never the same by habit. Besides, if your band-mates here your same old brainless warm up (redundancy) all the time by habit, they might just be gritting their teeth, politely.

Don't take it personal, I'm answering to everybody.
    Last edited by Bachstul; 07-12-2009 at 10:31 PM.

Anthony,
    if you are practicing an hour a day, it doesn't matter. You can probably even get away with NO WARMUP. If you are practicing less, then low impact stuff does less damage.

You still need a daily routine to build good playing habits. That is different than "warmups".
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Smile Re: Low Notes for warm -up

Get Rich Willey's Book "Focal Point" For Trumpet. He starts you out in middle register and builds in both directions from there. Pick the pages you like, warmiing up only to a comfortable range up high. I suggest 15 minutes. Others do more.

See if you can get a copy of Vacchiano's "Trumpet Routines". He's grandpa teacher on two sides for me (both Dr. David Baldwin and Manny Laureano studied with him), and this is great material for a 15-minute workout.

Then go to etudes, solos, orchestral excerpts, and the like.

When you have a day of heavy playing, just warm up. You'll be ready for the day. Somehow our chops know the feel, and psychologically it helps to have played note "X" that day already.

Write if you need to know more. I have published lesson plans that would help you in going through the great literature, and I'd be glad to share.
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.S. View Post
    Get Rich Willey's Book "Focal Point" For Trumpet. He starts you out in middle register and builds in both directions from there. Pick the pages you like, warmiing up only to a comfortable range up high. I suggest 15 minutes. Others do more. .......
    I'll go along with the "Focal Point" suggestion - a lot of good techniques there and allows you to start where you are most comfortable at a 2nd line G, or a 3rd space C and then expand from there - nice steady progressions with plenty of structured rest too. (Yes, I did buy it and I do use Rich's book). I have little knowledge of the other publications suggested though.
    Ted
    Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.S. View Post
    Get Rich Willey's Book "Focal Point" For Trumpet. He starts you out in middle register and builds in both directions from there.
    I don't have Rich's book, but sounds very similar to Claude Rippas' warm ups. Rowuk made a valuable point. You need to separate warm-ups from Daily routine. While everybody needs a daily routine, there is many successful players who do not warm up at all. That's why I said "when I have enough time". I've been thought that everyone should be able to perform five minutes after you get to the concert hall/club etc. If you make yourself dependable on lengthy warm up you may get some unpleasant surprise - the reality is, that you don't have always the possibility to do all you want to before a rehearsal or performance. There is many tips online regarding daily routines. While you try to figure out your own, you may wish to look over those:

Skill Building Trumpet Practicing Maximize You Practice Time Practice Effectively Trumpet Practice Skill Building
    How To Practice | purtle.com
    Trumpet Practice - Basic exercises, lip flexibility, and building range
    http://www.rextrumpet.com/shared/Edi...ly_routine.pdf
    Wynton Marsalis: The Marsalis Recommended Recipe for Daily Practice
    Developing A Balanced Practice Routine For Trumpet | Articles | Archives | SBO Magazine
    PRACTICE LESSONS
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9fnEt4S2UU]YouTube - Trumpet Lesson #8 - Daily Routine[/ame]

You can google some more and find other helpful info

Nick I - freelance wellness consultant
    My online store
    The Official Group of Nick I
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada to come...

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information