I recently picked up a lacquered 1976 Schilke B3L with tunable Gold plated Beryllium Bell and reverse lead pipe. The valve action is great, better than my 1975 Bach 37. It also feels more fluid throughout my playing range than the Bach; it feels easier to play. The one thing I notice when moving quickly between notes in the lower note range (between the F# below low C and up to G or A above low C) is a very complex, almost split tone. I don't hear it when I play long tones in this range, only when rapidly playing whole or half steps (e.g., Clarke's Technical Study #1).

This doesn't occur when I move up the scale to the upper half of the treble clef and above. What causes this split tone in the lower notes? Is the horn not slotting properly? This doesn't happen on my Bach trumpet, at least I don't hear it. Is it a result of the L .463 bore size? My Bach is ML .459.

I'm interested in your thoughts on this. Is there anything I can do to control this or clean it up when I don't want that split, complex tone quality (other than switching back to my Bach)? Will long-term practice on this horn allow me to eventually control this and be able to clean this up, apply it only when desired?

Or is it a desirable sound/quality?

Your thoughts/suggestion appreciated.

Jeff Mahnke
1975 Bach 37 Strad
1976 Schilke B3L