Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Lutheran hymnal in the General forums; Originally Posted by hup_d_dup Following the advice of several posts at this forum, I decided to buy a Lutheran hymnal. ...
    Forte User
    Indiana USA

Re: Lutheran hymnal

Quote Originally Posted by hup_d_dup View Post
    Following the advice of several posts at this forum, I decided to buy a Lutheran hymnal. I found that it is published under several different names and dates. Could someone please recommend the best - strictly from a musical standpoint - edition? (please be specific with name and date).

Well, Jonathan,

You could get one of those Pentecostal hymnals.

The music is more upbeat and while they are on the bookshelf, they
    "shine brightly" making them easier to find in a darkened room.

Well, the music is more upbeat....anyway!

Best wishes,

Pianissimo User
    Fayetteville, NC

The old red LCA Hymn book is my personal favorite, the one I grew up with. It is still in use in some churches around here. The hymns are not very different from newer hymnals, but I think that the music that accompanies the service is much nicer.

New Friend
    Butler Pa.

I use a Baptist hymnal. Most of the ones I see today have a pretty good mix of 17th century to present. Some by the old classical composers to The Gaithers[southern gospel] and the like. And there are usually already transposed books to correspond with the hymnals available. I really enjoy playing them. Not too difficult and very good to listen to and definitely adds to worship.

Sorry to bring up an old post, but when you play at churches for hymnals, do you just use the hymnal book? Is there a special book with what trumpet should play along with the choir? My church (presbyterian) is interested in me playing with them but from music literature stand point, they weren't too sure what should be done... I have both C and Bb and can transpose so that's not the issue, but do you just play the soprano line? I'm so clueless!

Thank you,
    Bach Strad. 37
    Early Chicago C Model Monette

Fortissimo User Buck with a Bach's Avatar
    Canton, Ohio

Cool Re: Lutheran hymnal

There's three of us playing. The organist usually throws something at us, but we also play from the hymnal. use b-flats and C's. My SIL doesn't transpose, but I can, just not on the fly. my wife plays flute, so no problem for her. I have the current hymnal from our church, plus a couple others that my SIL and the organist gave us.........Buck
    Bach Artist LTD-1
    Yamaha YTR-732( now gone)
    Selman C, rose brass( ongoing experiment)
    72 Olds Custom Crafted

Selman Flugle( I know, it's Chinese)( Any body got a Getzen valve block I can put in this thing?)
    Conn 17A Cornet
    Bugles across America

New Friend
    Dallas Texas

Hymns can be used for transposition practice. Read as is and then up a fifth and down a fifth chromatically. Also try with different keyed horns; great for music, and great for the brain

Wenatchee, WA

Just to add to the discussion...

There are 3 major branches of the Lutheran church in the U.S., ELCA as was mentioned above, Missouri and Wisconsin. (They are refered to as Synods) Each has their own hymnal and publishers.

In fact, the ELCA is split between those on the old green LBW version with the 'With One Voice' supplement, and those who have moved on to the new ELW 'Red' book. I have all 3... If it were up to me I would likely avoid the new hymnal in favor of the older ones. Why? On many of the songs in the new hymnal only the melody for the hymn is given. The previous hymnals had the full versions of the hymns.

Another option might be to purchase the accompaniment for the new version, I have not used it, but it includes all of the Hymns, as well as the extended music for the liturgical settings for the worship itself.

Augsburg Fortress | Evangelical Lutheran Worship, Accompaniment Edition

Hi Hup de dup - if you're still looking for Lutheran hymnals, you have a lot to choose from. As a worship leader in what might be the hippest Lutheran church west o' the Pecos, I use lots of stuff. Here's a partial Lutheran Hymnal list...

Old Lutheran: The Lutheran Hymnal - or TLH in Lutheran circles (The "Red" one (sometimes blue) 1941 - still in wide use across denominations

Missouri Synod:
    Lutheran Worship - or LW (The "Blue" one) 1982 - in use in many Missouri Synod churches
    Lutheran Service Book - or LSB (The "Burgundy" one) 2006 - Just out recently, but not in wide circulation due to new technologies like PowerPoint

ELCA - Lutheran Book Of Worship - or LBW (The Green Hymnal) 1978 - still in wide use in ELCA churches
    With One Voice (1995) - a supplement to LBW, in wide use.
    JDay mentions the new Evangelical Lutheran Worship (2007), which I would guess is likely to suffer the same fate as the LSB above.

Other Lutheran Hymnals
    This Far By Faith (The African American Lutheran Hymnal) 1999 - No, I'm not kidding... I have one, but it's basically the Lutheran Book of Worship with a few Gospel songs arranged in Germanic fashion added.

I also use the Celebration Hymnal by Word Music - It has all the classic hymns plus many new songs that are in wide use in more conservative non-denominational churches. It also has some cool intros/outtros/modulations from song to song that are useful for non-improvising keyboardists and for arranging brass.
    Last edited by flugeler; 10-11-2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: update

Yamaha YFH 731
    Schilke X3
    Bach 43*/43
    Yamaha YTR 751
    Courtois Arbuckle Cornet

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

I've nearly a half shelf of hymnals from various denominations. Some from a single denomination may in different years be publlished by different printers and by those persons in charge of doing so may elect to add or delete songs and/or change arrangements of songs. Of three churches I asked to purchase copies, two offered me them free, and the other accepted $20.00 in payment for such and wrote the receipt inside the cover. It seems that when I offered $20.00 to others, such was acceptable to all but one who just wouldn't give up any they had. I did end up with some from churches in which I played or sung. What perturbs me most are many of those hymns as were written in the mid to late 1800s and early 1900s as were so spiked in song and tempo that one could hear the beat of a bass drum as the congregation stamped their feet. No bass drum or congregation "dancing". Well too, perhaps to hear this now one must listen to the lay organist (self taught) who plays the pump organ in the small country chapel.

Waukesha, Wisconsin

I happen to have a good amount of old used Lutheran hymnals. These are just worn from use....not battered or without covers.

They are indeed a great source for music, and could be used for small brass group chorals, as it is written in full scores for organ/piano, allowing for 4 parts. (We still use this hymnal in our church)

Here is the hymnal that I'm referring to.

I'd like to keep it simple and offer them at a single price that includes shipping. I'm thinking a flat rate of $10.00 ea. delivered would be fair anywhere in the lower 48 states. I'd be happy to ship elsewhere, but actual shipping would have to be added.

Anything extra that comes out of this will go toward my N+1 obsession.

If anyone has an interest, contact me at [email protected]
    Pan America Pea Shooter
    Conn Connquest
    47 King Liberty Trumpet
    Bach Stratavarious (everyday horn)

Yamaha TR-639 Rose bell
    37 buescher Aristrocrat "custom built" Cornet
    Olds Studio (nickel plate)
    57 conn 12A Coprion
    Holton Collegiate Cornet
    Conn Victor Cornet
    Conn 1914 Perfected wonder (C, B, A flat)
    Conn 1912 perfected wonder (C, B flat)
    Buescher 1903 Epoch Cornet
    57 Olds Special Cornet
    Olds Ambassador Trumpet
    1935 Mahillon Flugel
    Reynolds marching F

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information