Trumpet Discussion Discuss Major "Dualema" in the General forums; Hi All, In reference to Bears post on playing it all, I need some advice on how to do just ...
    Halifax, NS CANADA

Major "Dualema"

Hi All,

In reference to Bears post on playing it all, I need some advice on how to do just that.

Last night, I layed the jazz concert of my life (popping off high G's Ab's etc) so needless to say I was pretty fatigued when it came to this mornings warmup. The funny thing is (where I would normally take this morning off) I have this big important Orchestra Audition (in about 1 hour).

It doesn't get much more contrasting than that.

What could I do in the future to get my lips cooperating the morning after a big show? (especially when auditions are involved)

Eric Sproul
    Eric Sproul
    Practice is like filling a leaky bucket

Bb: Paul Mauriat, Yamaha
    Flugel: Hub Van Laar ACK
    Mouthpieces: monette, yamaha

Houston, TX
    Well my first question would be, after a show like that, did you warm down? That's always very important to do after a tough show like that, otherwise you'll be paying for it the next day, as you're experiencing at this moment. Now, what I do in situations like this, is spend a long time playing long tones, Remington, Cichowicz warm ups at a very soft dynamic level. I also spend a good deal of time doing some good lips slurs as softly as I can play them, usually either Schlossberg or Bai Lin, I notice those seem to always make me feel better. I notice when you do this, your aperture and embouchure usually get the focus right back where it's supposed to be. It's always helped me out in situations of trouble, hope it helps!
    Music isn't a career, it's a way of life.

Thread Information