Trumpet Discussion Discuss A Manny Lip Flexibility Book Question in the General forums; Are the top three Lip Flexibility Books these ? 1. Twenty- Seven Groups of Execises By Earl D. Irons 2. ...
    Pianissimo User

A Manny Lip Flexibility Book Question

Are the top three Lip Flexibility Books these ?
    1. Twenty- Seven Groups of Execises By Earl D. Irons
    2. Max Schlossberg Daily Drills and Technical Studies for trumpet
    3. Trumpet Lip Flexibilities By Dr. Charles Colin
    Bb: Bach Stradivarius 43* (Gold PLated)
    C: Bach Stradivarius 229S (H pipe)
    Pic: Yamaha 9830 Custom
    Bach Megatone 1-1/4C
    Bb: Conn Vintage One (1BR)
    Flugel: Kanstul 1525 (Signature)
    Bach Megatone 1-1/4C
    Warbuton FL 1

Utimate User
    I can only offer you my opinion by observation on this question. You have to remember that oftentimes books are popular in a certain area of this country. I got to Minnesota and no one had ever heard of the St. Jacome's book unless he was a transplant from the east coast.

The Iron's book is one I don't have any experience with but have heard people from outside the east coast refer to it. It has an unfortunately ironic name, in my opinion, for a book about flexibility.

Certainly, the Schlossberg is a universal one and the Colin only slightly less so. Popularity is an indicator of how good a book is and it's also an indicator of how successful a marketer the author/publisher is. So, you might have some superb books that aren't popular for any number of reasons.

Mezzo Piano User
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    I was born in Iowa and raised on Saint -Jacome's, Gatti, Arban. Just my opinion, but the age we live in seems to have left out these works for trumpet study.

Bud Brisbois was from Minneapolis, studied there (Dan Tezlaff, excuse the spelling) and a lesson I had with Bud he gave me a routine from Saint-Jacome's.

I still use the broken chords in all keys, starting on page 77-79. Velocity page 177 in a breath, then up a half step (thank you Mr. Schilke) than a whole step.

Bousquet Etudes, Characteristic Studies. Single and Multiple Tongue studies, really puts that together!

Not many students today are exposed to these fine works for trumpet study.

Pianissimo User
    New York City
    I've been using "Lip Flexibilities" by Bai Lin, published by Balquhidder. This book was recommended to me by Ray Mase. I think it's a great book.

Larry Malin

Hi there,

All three are excellent books, and the ambitious player will do well to acquire and work their way through all three, over and over throughout their playing career.

Hope this is helpful,

John Mohan

Thread Information