Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Manny Playing in the General forums; Originally Posted by B15M It's interesting to hear Manny play different trumpets Lighter to heavier on the same clip. Personally ...
    Sheffield, England, UK
    Quote Originally Posted by B15M View Post
    It's interesting to hear Manny play different trumpets Lighter to heavier on the same clip.

Personally I like the heavier ones.

Here is a place to hear an expert play light and heavy. Maybe we can settle the age old debate

It all sounds like Manny to me.

Now I've got pretty good ears, but they all sound like Manny. There are some differences, but my ears tell me that it has more to do with how easy it is for the man to make the sound he's going for.

Trust me, it ain't the trumpet, it's the man.
    " have the perfect C Major chord, with blazing trumpets and inaudible strings." - Daniel Barenboim.

Pianissimo User
    Wow...great idea. There was a huge difference in my mind. The XLT was really bright...the LT and P1 seemed closer...the BIG difference in my mind was the jump from the 5 1/8 to 5 5/8 bell. I noted a big difference between the P1 and p3. I think I like the P3 the best (huge big sound)...but the P1 certainly has appeal too. Dave Brown

Navy Band, Washington, DC
    I prefer the ones where manny plays...

very nice, sir.

Piano User
    the Netherlands
    For the differences in weight, etc. you would expect bigger differences in sound. Maybe they are bigger when we're standing in front of the horn and not listening to a (lowbit) recording.

But as Clarino and others already said, they all sound like Manny. You wouldn't expect any different off course if he's following Arnold Jacob's advise to play the sound in your head...

New Friend
    If you have problems watching the video just do this, get this file and then double click (open it with realplayer): 5 horns.ram
    cheers from barcelona.
    Last edited by kerouack; 08-20-2006 at 12:45 PM.

Boston, MA
    as we say in Boston (for our often spaced out $200 million left fielder):

"It's just Manny being Manny"!

Yeah, and sounding SMOKING as ever!

Pianissimo User
    Fresno, California, USA
    I like the last horn soooo much better. Of course, it all sounds like Manny, but there is a depth to the sound he gets on the AJNA that I don't hear on the other horns.
    Horn: Flip Oakes Wild Thing American Long Cornet
    Mouthpiece: Monette B1-1

I must have listened to that clip about 10 times since first seeing it last night.

I ranked them, but have been wondering something. I know this may come across as blasphemy, but would Manny play each horn exactly the same every time? What I am saying is that if we heard Manny play the LT 5 times in a row, would they all sound the exact same? Again, no offense intended, just a thought.

From what I heard, here's the ranking:
    1st place - LT
    2nd place -Prana 3
    3rd place - Prana 1
    4th place - Prana Ajna
    5th place - XLT

I am truly interested to hear what Manny thinks. How about it Manny, which one did you prefer playing and think sounded best?
    Larry Woods

Atlanta, GA
    I like the LT and P3 best.
    Men govern nothing with more difficulty than their tongues, and can moderate their desires more than their words. - Baruch Spinoza

Lafayette, LA, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by ldwoods View Post
    What I am saying is that if we heard Manny play the LT 5 times in a row, would they all sound the exact same?
    I thought of the exact same question. I would also have loved him playing on horns that were not made by Monette to hear the difference.

Based upon what I heard I like the Prana LT and the Prana Ajna, but if he played them all again I wonder if I might pick two different horns. Manny is such a fine player that he makes them all sound good, but I have a feeling that he could make a horn bought at Sam's Club sound good!
    C - Harrelson 750 Modified Bach Strad
    Picc - Schilke P5-4
    Flugel - Kanstul ZKF1525
    Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37
    Bb - Bach Strad LT 180L-43

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information