Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss marching band/ crazy director in the General forums; You make it sound like it’s 7 hours of face time with a horn……not…it’s 7 hours of marching, memorization, playing, ...

Re: marching band/ crazy director

You make it sound like it’s 7 hours of face time with a horn……not…it’s 7 hours of marching, memorization, playing, lunch and breaks…. Buck up… it’s supposed to be fun, it’s nothing out of the ordinary from when I was in HS. Your chops will survive….play smart that’s all.

Pianissimo User
    Connersville, Indiana

It will be 6am to 1pm, he said there would be no lunch break because people can eat before and after. His breaks are every two hours for five minutes to get water. Also with this man (who by the way has been teaching 8 years prior at a different school.) It will include almost all playing. We where never allowed to not play, he wont change it this time.

I would get tired and stop playing and he would shake his head and say his trumpet section cant handle any of the parts and he would hand them off to the sax sections. So because of him i developed a messed up way of playing that my private teacher and I are trying to reverse. It's happening to all the other freshmen and sophomores this year already because they don't want to get yelled at or humiliated. That's what I care so much, I still have friends that want to be good in the program, and they will end up even worse on then me.
    yamaha 6335h

who cares... you are outta there!

Mesa, Az

WOW... if he was out here in central Arizona and he tired to do 7 hours a day on the field in JULY, there would literally be a few dead high school students.

7 hours playing is definitely TOO much at that level. To me, that would be asking someone who runs one lap around the track to now run 7 miles... the body is NOT equipped to handle that MUCH that quickly.

My first thought is that I would HOPE he was taking 7 hours in a format similar to the following:
    o 2 hours outside with no instruments working on on marching technique
    o 2 hours inside working on the music INDOORS
    o a food break
    o 1 hour back on the field either doing MORE fundamentals (if there are lots of newbies) or an hour working field formations
    o last 2 hours - either indoors or outdoors working on "the show".

All outdoor segments that involve playing would be "bursts" of playing and discussing movement and position -- so 2 hours outside would really equate to maybe an hour of playing.
    Even THAT schedule might be lip-numbing if your chops aren't prepared for it.

After reading MORE about your director, he sounds like a real piece of work, and a sax player to boot....

Have him contact some "REAL" trumpet players or other Directors (experienced Directors) and let them set him straight - but from your description, I don't think his ego will allow him to do that...

1990 Getzen Eterna 700 Trumpet
    1958 Conn 28A Connstellation Long Cornet
    1945 Buescher LP 225 Trumpet
    1948 Olds Studio Trumpet
    Triebert Moderne / Couesnon Flugelhorn
    ~Loyalist Websites~
    "There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality: there is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury; then there's the dark side...." --Michael Stewart, DMA

Northern California

I kind of agree jiarby--so what, you're outa there. On the other hand I understand your concern for your friend--but, you made it through last year. Maybe you developed some bad habits so should probably caution your friends to not make the same mistake. Maybe he will give the trumpet parts to the sax section--that probably won't last long (unless you really have a killer tenor sax section he'll get tired of transposing those parts for alto sax). Other possibilities--if there are separate marching and concert band programs maybe your friends can opt to not participate in marching band. Or, if there is a local or regional community band--I don't know of any of them that would not welcome a few young trumpet players--especially if they're any good. But first things first, fix your embouchure and keep on playing.
    Vulgano Brother likes this.
    Recording Olds Trumpet (64)
    Bb MLV Strad (69) ML 37 Strad (71) C ML Strad 236 (65)
    Couesnon Flugelhorn
    Bach Strad Bass Trumpet
    Holton T171 Alto Trumpet
    Kanstul 920 Piccolo Trumpet
    Yamaha 6610S Eb/D Trumpet

Pianissimo User

I think you. Have hit the nail on the head. It is hard when someone becomes a band leader to satisfy some personal desire to being charge.

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

To an extent, high school and college field bands today attempt to push beyond the threshold of ability with competition against other bands.

All I can say is I'm not participating in such now. In high school, our band was on the field in August and ensembles of it had been giving well attended free open-air concerts in the park on Saturday evenings all summer long ... but then practice inside was worse than outside as then there wasn't air conditioning in schools or in the homes I grew up in. Still, I'd say fewer than 15% of the students weren't participant in any school activity. Really, it was great to have parents who were ex-military volunteer to coach us on precision field drills and other parents to help with the choreographic of the show segments.
    Sturmbill likes this.

The best thing you can do at this point is to inform your parents of what you've learned here, then ask them to take it to a member of the school board. A "bottom up" approach like you trying to convince him won't work. It has to be "top down". And make sure you emphasize the personal safety factor when explaining to your parents.
    J. Jericho likes this.
    bah do dweeeee bah do bleep blop

Forte User
    Near Portland, OR.

The way you're describing it, the guy sounds kinda freaky. Considering you're already trying to undo some of the damage he has done, I would definitely not participate in something like this. Seems you have a good teacher now, stick to what he says and do the best you can for your fellow trumpet players but indeed, get the heck outta there.
    J. Jericho likes this.

Selmer Radial, Bb.
    Yamaha YTR4420E, C.
    1930 Couesnon cornet

A mind that masters the breath
    Creates strength (Lao-Tzu).

Vienna, Austria, Europe

I've had quite a bit of experience with that kind of directors... last in a Brass Band in Munich that had the cheek to engage a professional flute player as their chief conductor...
    I looked at the whole thing for a time, then told him (in private) what I thought of his method and his approach to brass (I have to explain that prior to getting that paid job, he did not even know what a British-style Brass Band was), offered to discreetly help him with my experience in that field (I've played in high-quality brass bands since 1989, in five different countries, and in high-end positions, usually either Flugel, Principal or Soprano, and conducted several brass bands in my time); when he did not mend his ways, but actually booted me out of the room, I left and set up my own band - The Austro-British Society Band in Vienna (no website yet) - and we beat them in a local contest hands down...
    So: If he does not listen, get out, take your friends with you, set up your own band and leave him with the all-sax orchestra he obviously wants.
    tobylou8, mgcoleman and GijsVis like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information