Trumpet Discussion Discuss Markus Stockhausen on Caruso in the General forums; For the first time in a couple of months i sat down and diligently practiced some of the Caruso method ...
    Piano User Bloomin Untidy Musician's Avatar

Markus Stockhausen on Caruso

For the first time in a couple of months i sat down and diligently practiced some of the Caruso method as edited by Markus Stockhausen. I was bloomin (sorry about the pun) awful. I struggled with the first 6 notes exercise and it was downhilll from there. A few months ago i practised it every day and i noticed significant improvements in both my stamina and range, so after getting my BUM (hee hee, RUDE word) kicked today by Caruso , i thought it might be a good idea to share it with you.

This is the link

Try it out and reply with your comments.

Mezzo Forte User

Re: Markus Stockhausen on Caruso

I've studied with Laurie Frink and she gave me a several Caruso things to practice, and updated and adjusted them as I progressed. According to her, the thing about the Caruso stuff is that Carmine (and now Laurie) tailored it to every student and to their particular needs. Any particular study might have a bunch of different variations for different people, and most of them haven't ever been published. For example, the version of the "Six Note" she gave me has no articulation and the note lengths are different than the article you linked to. AND...every lesson she added something to it...sometimes extra notes on top, sometimes how many times a day I did it...sometimes pitch get the idea. Obviously I had different needs than Stockhausen. Laurie also have me a ton of cool stuff thats not in the published Caruso book, but she said she learned from him. From my experience, just doing the stuff from the book is kind of like going to the gym and pounding the bench press for awhile and then going home wondering what all that other equipment and stuff is for, not to mention that your legs are still weak! I'm no expert and I certainly can't tell you how to get the most out of it, but Laurie does phone lessons and video lessons over the internet, so if you're really serious about that kind of method, it might be worth it to contact her. In person is always better of course, but it looks like you'd have quite a commute!

Piano User

Re: Markus Stockhausen on Caruso

Markus does a wonderful job of explaining the exercises in a way that is easily understandable. I had the opportunity to work with him on these very exercises last summer and it was a quite experience.

Thread Information