Trumpet Discussion Discuss Maybe you've heard of this? in the General forums; For auditions this fall, one of the excerpts I have to prepare is a piece by Ginastera called "Malamiso" (sp?). ...
    New Friend

Maybe you've heard of this?

For auditions this fall, one of the excerpts I have to prepare is a piece by Ginastera called "Malamiso" (sp?). I have never heard of this piece and was wondering if you knew of any recordings of it. Also, the parts that I have to play are rather high, and I was wondering if, in an audition, it's ok to change mouthpieces in order to make things a bit easier. Thanks.
    Matt Miller

Utimate User

My guess is that the piece you're thinking of is actually spelled "Malambo". The stick on the letter "b" got turned into an "i", etc.

It's a challenging peice that is part of a suite named "Estancia" from the ballet of the same name by Alberto Ginastera. The Malambo is the final dance and there are a bunch of solos that are rather ferocious in character. That's why I don't generally play it on piccolo; the notes are easier but the character is too polite-sounding for my taste.

So, maybe, a you suggest, a mouthpiece change is the way to go. Don't let it get too easy, though. You might lose control and do a lot of overshooting.

Forte User
    Northern New York
    Yeah! Just played that last concert with the wind ensemble; I had trumpet up the part and it's all repeated G's on top of the staff as far as the eye can see! I had my assistant trade off...we called it "The G song".

It was really a fun piece; quite fast. If you look on iTunes for Estancia, Malambo or Danza Final, you might find a recording.
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

Thread Information