Trumpet Discussion Discuss Me Improvising in F (constructive critisism/feedback please) in the General forums; Me playin' the Blues . Can u plz give me some feedback and tips to improve my soloing? After all ...
    United States

Me Improvising in F (constructive critisism/feedback please)

Me playin' the Blues. Can u plz give me some feedback and tips to improve my soloing? After all i am only 14.

Pianissimo User

Re: Me Improvising in F (constructive critisism/feedback please)

Chill with the blues scale. The blues scale can be useful but it goes against the chord changes of a blues. What I mean is, the G blues scale is G Bb C Db D F G right? This can be useful but you have to choose your notes. For example: Don't hang on a Bb in your solo if the chord is G7. I mean, it's all a matter of preference of what you want to hear in a solo, this is just a general example. Just follow the chord changes rather than playing around on the blues scale. That begin said, there were some good ideas i your solo.

san diego

I love your zest man.
    you go boy, tear it up man!

peace my man!
    You heard it here 1st, in what ever u do if u buy the ticket u take the ride!
    Stage 1XH Bb
    Phaeton 2030 Bb
    Jupiter flugle 846bl black
    Kersting Pocket trumpet
    Stage1 MP
    schilke 11 MP
    Sdsytems LCM77 wireless
    Shure PGX wireless

Guilford, CT

Keep it up, watch your articulations. Use some effects (half-valve, growl, rips, etc.) You are doing great. Keep practicing as they say.

New Friend

You are coming along nicely at age 14. Timing is very important , make sure not to neglect this area. Sounding Good.

Just keep playing and you'll get better and better. Don't be impatient. Thank you for the post.

Ithaca NY

I agree with Clarence! Go for it!
    I would suggest improvising to a slower progression, and instead of range, focus on tone, and try to get a bit more melodic. I listened to your Blues for Alice and I am impressed, but still think you need to back off on the need for speed. Someone once said about Monk, that he never played a note that wasn't necessary. Give yourself a chance to be expressive and the pyrotechnics can wait for a while.
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

Listen as much as possible! Check out Chet Baker, Clifford Brown, and Freddie Hubbard...they do some awesome stuff with the blues!
    Start transcribing solos too. It'll sharpen your ear and give you a
    vocabulary of stuff 'to say' in your improvisation.
    Good luck,

I am definitely not the chorusmaster here, but you may want to first improvise over changes that belong to a specific tune. That way you have a melodic theme in your head before you start.
    When I listen to other people improvise, the first thing that I like to hear is a thread that ties the licks together (or gives me the feeling a new melody has been created devoid of "licks").
    The second "most important thing" is the sense of time. Most of the accomplished jazz musicians that I know get my foot tapping after the first bar that they play, their classical brothers much less often (wouldn't that be a goal - Pictures at an Exhibition played so cool that your foot started tapping after the first bar!?!)!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information