Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss The meanest comment ever made in the General forums; Last night I was at a band rehearsal with the local union band. We had to have an emergency rehearsal ...
    Monroe Ct.

The meanest comment ever made

Last night I was at a band rehearsal with the local union band. We had to have an emergency rehearsal because our conductor couldn't make the next concert so we have a guest conductor.

About half way through the conductor stopped to make a comment and a flute player interrupted and said "Can we do something about the trumpets? They need to play softer or tune or something."

I replied, "We have a small section tonight and it's hard to compensate" (there were only two of us.)
    She said " It's every time, the same thing" At that point the conductor cut her off and moved on.

After rehearsal I went up to the conductor in private and told him that I would do whatever he wanted at the concert, and all he has to do is ask. He thanked me and we went on to another subject.

I think the concert will start out about mp. That way I get to hear the conductor ask for more in front of the flute!

Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    I don't think is was the meanest comment ever made with all due respect....

Just consider the source...

Shake it off and just continue to take the high road!

Tony G

Schilke S-42 50th Anniversary - Dr. Valve

Utimate User
    You see? That's the kind of garbage that I've railed about on these forums many times. It's a lack of some people's desire to express themselves about a difference of opinion, a problem, a concern... whatever... without consideration for the feelings of others.

She could have said "Can we work on the balance at letter X?" We really can't hear what we're doing." During the break she could have said "Joe, the intonation's a problem at number 25, can we play a couple of notes?"

It takes ten seconds to just consider what comes out of your mouth and the fact that you're working wth other human beings to make for good relationships in almost any situation. Whether it's a passing omment on the 'net or a concern during rehearsal it's always better to be honest but consideration doesn't have to suffer.

Believe me, we have our similar crap to deal with in the professional realm, Joe. Sometimes it's worse than that. There's a reason we call the first violin section "The Snake Pit".

Mezzo Piano User
    I just finished a month at the Eastern Music Festival which has a very, very good faculty orchestra. I thought it was interesting how nice everyone was - even the viola section! Let's just say I'm not used to that in my current setting. Good players really are nicer than bad ones!

Mezzo Forte User
    Morelia, Mexico
    The meanest comment I ever heard was at a jam session. "Hey, man, what did you do with the money?""What money?""The money your mama gave you for saxophone lessons!"

Michael McLaughlin

Do not fear mistakes. You will know failure. Continue to reach out.
    Benjamin Franklin
    Morelia MM

Rochester, MN
    Wow! She must be extremely talented be able to simultaneously:

A) Play her flute part perfectly
    B) Have complete understanding of the requirements of the trumpet parts
    C) Know what the conductor needs to adjust before he (she) does

Now, that's some talent!
    Stop acting like someone shot your dog.

Forte User
    Northern New York
    Quote Originally Posted by trpt2345
    The meanest comment I ever heard was at a jam session. "Hey, man, what did you do with the money?""What money?""The money your mama gave you for saxophone lessons!"

I've heard our principal clarinettist in the Winds lay some zingers out there:
    "Saving your BEST reed for a special occasion?"
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar
    Metro Detroit
    When a guy finishes a solo, you pat him on the back and very solemnly say:

"Don't worry, that wasn't as bad as it sounded."

Or, at a rehearsal say:

"That's not how you're going to play it on the gig, is it?"

"That was pretty the way, what is your regular instrument?"
    Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

Artitst in Residence
    Fortissimo User
    That's a cue for Gil Johnson quotes " Do you REALLY want to sound like that" is the nicest one.
    You next Brian............
    Be sure Brain is engaged before putting Mouthpiece in gear.
    S.Suark 1951

Pianissimo User
    Des Moines, IA
    Who was the famous conductor who said to the cellist, "You have such a beautifull instrument between your legs and all you do is scratch it."

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information