Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Memorial Day activities in the General forums; Will be playing Echo Taps today with a friend I've been playing with in highschool for the last 8 years. ...
    Piano User

Re: Memorial Day activities

Will be playing Echo Taps today with a friend I've been playing with in highschool for the last 8 years. Last time we're going to be playing together as we've graduated a month ago.
    Mit Kraft!

dubuque iowa

Quote Originally Posted by TrumpetMD View Post
    Working in the ED today, so I wasn't available. But my son played taps today at a memorial ceremony to place flags on the graves of veterans.

Did you mean ER, doc?
    Larry tscharner!
    M J Klashen The Yankee 1923
    Concertone, Czech made, pre war
    Olds Ambassador Cornet 1955

Olds Super Trumpet 1966
    Yamaha 8335 Xeno 2008
    Getzen 900s Eterna Classic 2009

Forte User
    Near Portland, OR.

No Larry, he meant ED as in Emergency Department. That's how people who really work there call it. It's only on TV that they call it ER.

Our community band had its annual Memorial day concert on Saturday, with numerous patriotic tunes, and the "official" ones: Merchant Marine hymn, On Brave Old Army Team, Eternal Father, Service Medley, Stars and Stripes to conclude. We dropped he West Point March, was a little too much of a challenge and we started rehearsing too late. Many veterans present, including one from World War 2. Our director and old time 1st trumpet player are both Viet-Nam veterans. The thing was filmed by a small local TV station, I'll post something if I can get a link to a vid.

Selmer Radial, Bb.
    Yamaha YTR4420E, C.
    1930 Couesnon cornet

A mind that masters the breath
    Creates strength (Lao-Tzu).

San Antonio Texas

As I was leaving the house this a.m. I picked up my "B" USA horn to take it to Church with me, as I attend a Men's Bible study and B'fast on Monday morning. My intentions were merely to test the acoustics in the gymnasium, as I need a place to practice, other than in my car. Well I was asked to play taps, as it is Memorial day today, and what do you know, ??? I did not plan it, it just happened that way.., and yes I did a fine job!! Weird, how things just happen like that!!

Thanks be to those who served our Country, and to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice .., for our Freedom!

New York State USA

no Taps -- but I just got back from my community bands Memorial Day Parade -- we did 4 marches --- and I was "in the front row" playing a trombone --- Taps was played, but not by our group -- colors were carried in the parade also, and each division of the armed services was there!!!!
    1991 King Silver Flair
    1953 Olds Super (LA)
    1979 King KG1055T (pre UMI) Silver Flair
    1940? Olds Ambassador (LA) tenor trombone

I'm not responsible for offending people -- people are responsible for themselves taking offense at me

Norfolk, VA

I sounded Taps today for a ceremony - usually I dedicate it to those close to me whose funerals I was not able to play for. Usually it's my grandfather, who died when I had only been playing a couple of months, and my husband's grandfather, who died while we were too far away to attend. Today I added two more to that list - two shipmates we served with at Navy Band New Orleans died this month. One left the musician community, but continued to serve as a reserve officer, and would be 41 in July. The other retired as a Chief Musician, and was very special to both my husband and I. He cancelled rehearsals so the band could attend our wedding, and was a wonderful person and a great musician. Both of these men were guests at our wedding, and parts of our lives and our Navy careers. They will be missed.
    kingtrumpet and patkins like this.
    Adams A1, satin gold lacquer, 0.55 (and it's twin in clear lacquer)
    Adams F2, gold brass bell 0.55
    Yamaha 8335LA (Navy horn)
    Adams ACB Prologue
    Conn 112B
    NY Bach Mercury
    50's Calicchio
    Marcienkewicz Rembrandt flugel (for sale! Contact Trent Austin for details)
    Schilke P5-4
    French Besson Classic C
    Yamaha 761 Eb/D
    Weril Regium Eb/D (for sale soon)
    vintage Benge pocket trumpet
    Austin Custom Brass mouthpieces

More news to come!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil986 View Post
    No Larry, he meant ED as in Emergency Department. That's how people who really work there call it. It's only on TV that they call it ER.
    That's right. It's not a "room", it's a "department".

But what's in a name?

Bach Stradivarius 43* (1974), Bach 3C Mouthpiece.
    Getzen 896 Eterna Flugelhorn (1974), Curry 3FL Mouthpiece.
    Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, and Besson horns.

Fortissimo User Buck with a Bach's Avatar
    Canton, Ohio

More like Emergency Rooms, MD. The hospital I go to, has expanded a LOT!

I sounded TAPS at two ceremonies last weekend for the small American Legion post here in Canton South. it's membership has shrunk due to old age. Instead of having their own building, they now meet in the basement garage of a member. My FIL was a past commander there. Two small cemetary's here.........
    Bach Artist LTD-1
    Yamaha YTR-732( now gone)
    Selman C, rose brass( ongoing experiment)
    72 Olds Custom Crafted

Selman Flugle( I know, it's Chinese)( Any body got a Getzen valve block I can put in this thing?)
    Conn 17A Cornet
    Bugles across America

Forte User
    Fort Wayne, IN

No taps played by me, just observation and introspection. I thought of my deceased father, who was a Korean War vet. I got grumpy with my 80 year old mother while we decorated graves of loved ones. I watched my family at a gathering and noticed the general lack of awareness of the significance of the event. I must take some responsibility for that. Many in attendance were my progeny, and I was so distracted that I did not even display the flag! I watched TORA TORA by myself late at night and reflected on those lives cut short in WWII, and others, including a couple uncles, whose lives were forever changed by their experiences. I could have done better at observing the holiday.
    Getzen 900 Eterna Classic, Leblanc 707 Sonic (Metzler Brass restoration)
    Bach Model 180SL229W30 Stradivarius C Trumpet
    Holton Collegiate Bb Cornet (heirloom)
    Blessing Artist Bb Flugelhorn

Fortissimo User
    Greenfield WI

Memorial Day concert in the Saarinen War Memorial Center on Milwaukee's lakefront. This year they compressed the events so the parade, laying of wreaths, and our concert came one after the other, and we had some people come up to our concert from the ceremony. It was nice to have audience other than family members for once.

Milwaukee County War Memorial Center

Neat building, take a look.

Buescher Lightweight 400
    Other Buescher horns 1939--1955
    Al Cass 1-28 mouthpiece
    Humes and Berg mutes

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information