Trumpet Discussion Discuss Mental Aspect of Playing.... in the General forums; Today I did three memorial services for guys killed in Iraq. As I'm in a back room, a woman walks ...
    Mezzo Piano User

Mental Aspect of Playing....

Today I did three memorial services for guys killed in Iraq. As I'm in a back room, a woman walks by with her little girl. She is one of the spouses of one of the deceased soldiers. The little girl looks up at her mother and asks, "Do we get to go see daddy now?". She could not have been more than 5.

Because I do so many memorials and funerals, I try to not feel anything personal. It just breaks my concentration. Needless to say, there were tears running down my cheeks today as I sounded Taps. The girl's face will never leave my memory, nor will her father's.

How's that for a mental aspect?

Play Taps every time you all are given the chance.
    Mike
    Eclipse MHY Bell
    1949 Olds Ambassador

Listening has nothing to do with moving your mouth!

Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

The most memorable taps that I have ever played occured probably within my first year as an Army Bandsman our of the SOM, in either 1990 or 91. I was sent on a long distance, overnight bugle job up in PA - I forget where.

The circumstance of this sad, sad funeral was that the soldier for whom I was playing had come home on leave, either to get married, or to attend the wedding of his only sibling, his brother.

Both were killed in an automobile accident. The only surviving next of kin was their father, who had become a widower about a year prior to that. He was a great big man, but under the intense grief of losing both of his children at the same time, I witnessed this great man break down as I played taps, and I almost couldn't finish it.

I experienced situations similar to yours when I played the funerals for many of the members of the 14th Quartermaster Detachment out of Greensburg, PA, that were killed when the barracks they were in got hit by parts of a SCUD missile during Desert Storm.

In the course of my Army Band career, I played Taps at hundreds of funerals and I always tried to never lose sight of the fact that even though it may have been routine for me, just another bugle job, it certainly wasn't routine for the survivors of the deceased, and I always, ALWAYS, did my very best to play the best Taps I could out of respect for them and their loved ones.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Thread Information