Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss metal braces do that cause that many problems? in the General forums; I've had two of my kids with "braces and brass"... one got her degree in performance on French horn and ...
    Fortissimo User
    Yee HAW!
    I've had two of my kids with "braces and brass"... one got her degree in performance on French horn and the other is in H.S. on trumpet and just got his braces off before Christmas.

They both had to learn to play with less pressure, they both suffered short-term range and endurance problems (moreso with my son on trumpet), but they both started recovering almost immediately after brace removal (they wore them for three years each). In fact, my daughter played in provincial honours band the week after hers were removed.

Neither one of the ever aclimatized to shields or guards... the wax was messy and the plastic guard messed their playing up too much so they learned to adapt. They both had the wire braces, top AND bottom and c/w the elastics to adjust jaw alignment.... what I'd call "heavy metal"!

If you have to take a 2nd or 3rd position until you adapt... so what? You're still learning music and those parts have to be played too. Once the braces are off you'll be amazed by the change in your appearance.

I'd say "Go for it".

Mezzo Forte User
    I had braces from 8th grade through 11th grade. They set you back for a while when you get them on, but you get used to playing on them. They also set you back when you get them tightened/adjusted...but again, you get used to them. They really set me back when I got them off, but you get used to it and it's soon no big deal. Since you're in college and the decision is completely up to's more of a matter of how much work/frustration are you willing to put up with?

You should keep in mind that any change in your dental alignment/anything is going to do something to your playing.

I'm glad now that I had braces because it actually helped align my teeth so I could play comfortably...but when they were on, I really hated them.

Hope this helps!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information