Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By patkins
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Method Book recommendations? in the General forums; I'm looking into getting a method book or two to help me improve my playing, and provide me with something ...
    Pianissimo User
    York, South Carolina

Method Book recommendations?

I'm looking into getting a method book or two to help me improve my playing, and provide me with something to work on once I graduate. I'm interested in Arbans, and Clarkes, though I can't seem to find any information besides that they're both good books. Any recommendations as to which, or even any other noteworthy books? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thinking about dropping that student horn?

Forte User
    Tuscaloosa, AL.

Re: Method Book recommendations?

Actually you should get both Arbans and Clarks. They are sort of the essentials references. I have hed several editions of Arbans thru the years, but the most recent Platinum edition has a CD to go along with it. I'm sure others will chime in some good references. Allen Vizzutti's Method Studies are on my future purchase list. He has 3 volumes.
    tobylou8 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by patkins View Post
    Actually you should get both Arbans and Clarks.
    Arbans and Clarke Technical Studies would be at the top of my list.

Bach Stradivarius 43* (1974), Bach 3C Mouthpiece.
    Getzen 896 Eterna Flugelhorn (1974), Curry 3FL Mouthpiece.
    Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, and Besson horns.

New Friend
    Jacksonville, FL

Couple of suggestions...#1 All trumpet players should own an Arban's book. #2 Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach to Daily Practice. The Arban's and Clarke books are wonderful and you should definitely get them. They have an immense amount of technical and lyrically studies, plus solo's and duets. The Gordon book is about learning how to practice and develop a sound routine (no pun intended). It has series of lessons that will take you about a year to complete if you follow the instructions. Another one I highly recommend and one that really helped me was the Buzzing Book by James Thompson. It comes with a CD...

Hope this helps you out!!
    1939 Conn 12b, "Coprion" Bell
    1986 Bach Strad 180MLS, 72 Bell
    2010 Yamaha Custom Z YTR-8335LA

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; un-rewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination are omnipotent.
    - Calvin Coolidge

Fortissimo User
    in exile from Germany

Well, I believe Claude's book uses the St. Jacome book, so if you are planning on getting the most out of Claude's method, it would seem to me that it would be more efficient to get the St. Jacome instead of Arban's. Both would be biting off a heck of a lot to chew at once.

OTOH, if you are going to get Arban's, you might want to consider getting Eric Bolvin's book "The Arban Manual" in which he has organised Arbans in a logical way. Check it out: ::: Eric Bolvin Music Studios - Publications ::: ARBAN MANUAL
    You can't blow it if you haven't lived it.

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    Chet Baker

Schilke B7
    Martin Committee (1956)
    Connstellation 38B (1959)
    LA Benge 3X (1970s)
    Hans Hoyer G-10 Geyer Horn

San Pedro

I use to always recommend the Arban's and Clark's Techinical studies ... bit I think I leam more towards Arban's and the Vizutti Method book now. Book one of Vizzutti.
    Arban's has alot of Etudes along with great exercises. The Vizzutti's offer technical studies actually similar to the Clarkes but also great warm ups and some contemporary range and embrouchure exercises.
    It's a little difficult to try to look back as I started on the Clarkes and Arbans.
    All must haves actually.
    If you can sound Taps please take a few minutes and check out this site.
    Bugles Across America > Home

Arban, Clarke, Irons, Colin Flexibilities, Charlier

Those have kept us busy for 100 years!

Down Under

The Arban's book is a trumpeter's bible. If you get this one (especially the extended American one with the duets) then you don't need any of the others. Range and muscle strength exercises, endurance, long tones, double tonguing, triple tonguing, intervals, and everything you need to be able to play trumpet brilliantly. The 14 Characteristic Studies and the 18 Solos are very tiring and very good to play. They sound brilliant and they train you really well as well.

If you want to get other books as well, then that's your own choice. But Arban's does it for me!
    "We shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump;
    for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible."

Bach Artisan Bb Trumpet - AB190S
    Denis Wick Standard Series - 1.5C

Thread Information