Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Method Books in the General forums; First, there is no such thing as a mouthpiece upgrade, the only reason to change mouthpieces is to change tone ...
    Levittown , NY

Re: Method Books

First, there is no such thing as a mouthpiece upgrade, the only reason to change mouthpieces is to change tone quality or for comfort, as far as method books go you really do need a private teacher to guide you , different players progress at different speeds and have different strengths and weakness', what might be hard for one player, might be easy for the next.

Pianissimo User

Well honestly I've never used a mouthpiece other than the 7c I sarted with in 6th grade so I didnt know if I should be looking and trying other ones to see if they work better for me or not.

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

Quote Originally Posted by john7401 View Post
    ...when I was trying out some new trumpets in the $1,000 range compared to the one I have now that I bought from the school in 6th grade (new), I don't really notice any difference between any of them and my old one except that they can get a bit louder without blasting. Should I be noticing more of a difference or are there certain differences I should be looking for?...
    It may be that it will be awhile before you can start to notice any difference. I had the same trumpet for nearly 50 years so when I started my comeback I felt like there must be something better. I now have over 30 horns in the search for the "holy grail" of hardware. Most of them are beautiful and great playing models. But, none of them play better than the one I started with. In actual fact, the playing is ME - not the horns. So, if you don't notice any difference, save yourself $1000 until you have improved to the point that you will notice the difference. Then you will be able to spend that money with a bit more understanding about what it is actually buying you.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Heart of Dixie

I've been working the Schlossberg book about 9 months now (along with the Arban's book, of course), and I can tell a definite improvement in my ability to play evenly throughout my range, with added confidence and ease at the extremes. If you're going to be taking lessons, your teacher probably will have preferences, though.
    Olde Towne Brass

Brass Band of Huntsville

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information