Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Method Books in the General forums; Yesterday I practiced for 1hour and 1/2 and today im going to try to get in 2hours and increase it ...
    Pianissimo User

Method Books

Yesterday I practiced for 1hour and 1/2 and today im going to try to get in 2hours and increase it a bit each day. On Monday I'm also going to get some trumpets to try out and some mouthpieces to try to upgrade my tools a bit. Also sometime this week I'm going to call someone about private lessons.

I already have the Arban's book but are there any good method books out there? I'm talking about more guided practice books instead of the Arban's? I feel like I use the Arban book blindly and its not improving me as much as it should because I don't know how to use it the best to help me, but maybe a private teacher can help me with that.

Anyway just wondering if you guys had any good ones to suggest. Thanks.

Mezzo Piano User Brass crusader's Avatar
    Buffalo, NY/ Hartford, CT

Re: Method Books

Arbans, Clarke, Charlier, Concone, and any others that catch your eye are great, they are all very thorough and comprehensive. I'm sure that your teacher will have several that he prefers to work with.
    AFM Local 400

If you can not stand up as a good role model, please sit down!

Chicago Custom X-VR Lead

BrassNor Alexander Custom cornet
    BrassNor Versatile Bb Custom trumpet

Some fun books is Arturo Sandoval: Playing Techniques and Performance Studies for Trumpet, Vol. 2 and 3. NOT high notes.. Very fun and melodic exercises!!
    Jon Petter

Inderbinen Alpha and Inderbinen Studie
    Monette Prana B6 S1 82
    Monette Prana B6L S1 82

CarolBrass QT Custom (quartertone)

Amrein AFL 8511 V flugelhorn
    Amrein Titanium 7FL

"I'm hungry and need something to e
    at!" (a hungry) -Dizzy Gillespie

Pianissimo User

Great ideas thanks :).

I'm still open to others if you guys have them.

Are there any good range building books like this? Or any good ones that would help higher range tone quality that actually work?

(Another reason I'm looking in to all these books is because of what I stated in the first post but also because I learned from talking with the senior that was insanely good last year that he learned everything he knew from method books and practice.-He also took alot of music theory calsses and learned to compose ect.- He motivated me to start practicing a lot more because this is something I really want to do and get good at. If at all possible I'd like to make a carrer out of this. He said he was practicing 6hours a day when I talked to him and now I realize that if this is really what I want to get good at I need to start working my way up to practicing alot more myself. I want to do everything possible that I can to be as good as I can be.)
    Last edited by john7401; 09-20-2009 at 04:42 PM.

New Friend

It sounds like you have a great attitude and mental approach. I think having some guided instruction from a knowledgeable teacher is the best place for you at this point. He/She can assess what your needs are in terms of areas that need most improvement right away, and down the road. In doing this he/she can prescribe specific things to practice out of recommended materials. Keep up the good work!

Do not upgrade the trumpet and mouthpiece at the same time. It is a recipe for diesaster!

Only change one thing at a time and leave at least 6 months between changes. We are creatures of habit and breaking habits is very hard and can lead to other bad habits if we do not turn our brains on first.

THE single most important book is the Arbans. The second in my opinion is Clarke, the third is a standard Hymnbook. There are hundreds of easy, familiar tunes in there that we can make music with (and learn to transpose......). That is kind of the reason that we play trumpet in the first place.
    After that: gravy.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Levittown , NY

I think it would be best to wait until after you get a private teacher, and then discuss equipment with him/her, the same with method books, if you admire the way this senior plays ,try to get his teacher's phone number.

Forte User
    Clarksburg, WV

Hi John,
    I like the SPIT Book. Why? Its got a lot of the sequences that Arban's has plus, the SPIT book can be used with Aebersold play alongs. The SPIT book is a lot less rigid than the basic exercise book and makes doing exercises more fun and, it helps create a foundation for improvisational skills. The book is comprised of 48 different scales, patterns, inversions, and triads.
    It should be noted that The Arban's book is really hard to beat. I've worn out one copy and am on my second one. The toughest thing (I think) students have with Arban is playing from it (even if its a scale) and make it musical instead of mechanical.
    You can teach just about anybody to be mechanical. I don't know if you can teach just about anybody to be musical.
    Last edited by Markie; 09-21-2009 at 10:15 AM.

Pianissimo User

"try to get his teacher's phone number"

He doesn't have a teacher other than our high school teacher. He claims it was all method books and practice.

Also for the trumpet/mouthpiece thing, when I was trying out some new trumpets in the $1,000 range compared to the one I have now that I bought from the school in 6th grade (new), I don't really notice any difference between any of them and my old one except that they can get a bit louder without blasting. Should I be noticing more of a difference or are there certain differences I should be looking for?

(Thanks for the other book ideas)

Also this senior used a 7c mouthpiece like I started with (from what it looked like) and he had about the same tone quality as our band director even though he uses something else but since this is the case should I really even upgrade my mouthpiece?
    Last edited by john7401; 09-21-2009 at 10:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information