Trumpet Discussion Discuss MIC in the General forums; In the market for a good trumpet MIC. Any suggestions?...
    New Friend

MIC

In the market for a good trumpet MIC. Any suggestions?

Pianissimo User
    I have a small, varied collection in my studio, and the ones I have particularly liked are:

AEA R-84 (www.wesdooley.com);
    ElectroVoice PL-20 (a.k.a. RE-20);
    Studio Projects C3.

The AEA is a figure-8 ribbon mic and is very useful on all types of sound sources, especially acoustic and brass instruments.

The EV PL(RE)-20 are broadcast industry standard dynamic mics.

The Studio Projects is a large diaphragm condensor and, while pretty inexpensive as LDC's go, does a nice job capturing the sound.

Mics are just one part of the signal flow. A good preamp makes a big difference in the recorded sound, and the room and mic placement are a factor. Practice using the gear is the key to getting consistently good sounding recordings.

If you are looking for a stage mic or some cheapo thing to plug into your computer, ignore everything I have written above!

- Paul Artola
    Ellicott City, Maryland

New Friend
    Paul, thanks for your information.

Are these stand alone mics with a "sound board" next to it or are they clip-ons?

I was wanting to hide this in my stand somehow in the orchestra. (just kidding)

Pianissimo User
    Really:

I use a Samson Airline Wireless. It works great for the purpose it serves... Live Gigs! It's totally wireless and uses one AAA battery and it lasts for 14 hours. It utilizes an Audio Technica AH35 (I thinks thats the model number) microphone.

Again, the best thing about it is that there are no wires to bother you. It easily switches from trumpet to flugel and back. It uses a soft rubber clip so it wont damage the finish of your horn. (especially delicate satin lacquer) It works very well up to 150 to 175 feet.

The cost is about $400. www.zzounds.com They are great to deal with. When I ordered my mic, it was on my doorstep the next morning for $25 extra of course. Hope this helps!!

-Cory-

Pianissimo User
    All the mics I described are for studio work, though they could all be used on stage. These are not clipon mics, as I said. In fact, all are pretty substantial, and if you plan on using with a boom, you better have a counterweight to be safe.

Others here can recommend stage mics better than I. My work is mostly in my recording studio.

- Paul Artola
    Ellicott City, Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by Really
    Paul, thanks for your information.

Are these stand alone mics with a "sound board" next to it or are they clip-ons?

I was wanting to hide this in my stand somehow in the orchestra. (just kidding)

They don't call the Shure SM57 God's microphone for nothing. For stage sound, it's probably going to be your best bet to mic your trumpet. The coolest part is that it won't break the bank to buy one either. And, they are pretty durable as well.

That's my suggestion.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Mezzo Piano User
    It's hard to beat the SM57 in a live situation. It makes a trumpet sound like a trumpet and it has good headroom and decent rejection of off-axis sounds (drums!!). Also, if a fight breaks out it makes and excellent weapon that will not bankrupt you if you screw it up.

Dave
    Schilke '60 B1
    Selmer Paris -- '57 #20 K-Modified/
    '03 Concept TT w/ GR66.8B2.8
    '94 Lawler TL cornet w/ Sparx 2B
    Conn Vintage One flugel - GR66FD
    www.pitpops.com www.ucm-inc.com
    Rocky Mountain Trumpet Fest

Pianissimo User
    Well, the SM57 is a respectable microphone for hand-to-hand combat, but in a typical barroom melee, I prefer the sheer heft of the EV PL(RE)-20. Any musician swinging one of these badboys at the end of a mic cable will command respect.

- Paul Artola
    Ellicott City, Maryland

Oh, for barroom brawls, I like the heft and swing of the AKG D112. (Football shaped kick-drum mic) ;)
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Thread Information