Trumpet Discussion Discuss misinterpreted my directors instructions in the General forums; When I was a freshman in high school probably (i'm a junior now) my directors used to always say open ...
    Pianissimo User

misinterpreted my directors instructions

When I was a freshman in high school probably (i'm a junior now) my directors used to always say open up, but they never said how to do it. I always assumed they meant my mouth so now when I play I kind of plant my top lip on my mouthpiece before I set my bottom lip on, therefore playing with my lips 'open' and somewhat apart. It provides an good open sound for me, but will it cause any serious problems down the road? I have already gotten an embochure change, I used to play with the inside of my lip a little (don't ask how I did it) but I wanted an embochure change because I wasn't consistent enough and plus it was causing problems. Now I still play a little offcenter, but my lips are further apart when I play than most people. I can't buzz without my mouthpiece for example.

Here are some of my videos of me playing, as you can see my sound is full (what does that even mean, a full sound? i sound a little better in real life, the camera wasn't meant for this)

[ame=]YouTube - Sarabande[/ame] (the beginning is embarassing)
    [ame=]YouTube - Avon High School Jazz 1 (1)[/ame] (lead trumpet)
    [ame=]YouTube - Avon High School Jazz 1 (3)[/ame] (again, lead trumpet. a D is my top note, so it lacks support and is therefore flat. I am not the soloist, I'm the curly haired kid)

Forte User
    Indianapolis, In

Re: misinterpreted my directors instructions

The best advice anyone here can give you is to find a competent private teacher and do what you are told. I think maybe I hear some other problems and we can't help you with embouchure when we can't work with you. No one here can really help without seeing you and hearing you without having to deal with a recording and possibly poor microphone placement.

the answer is not in an embouchure change. High notes are flat when they are not reasonably supported. I think your problem is breathing and not chops. If you follow my usual postings, you know what is coming:

a daily routine that starts with pianissimo long tones (mouthpiece then trumpet) and easy slurs - then easy tunes - like hymnbook stuff, also very quietly, then technical stuff - also at pianissimo. You can do a search on "circle of breath". That will help with the basics.

That is what you need. You are an accomplished player with potential. Don't mess that up by trying to fix something that isn't broken. Playing VERY quietly will bring your chops into line. It may just take some time to build new habits. The pencil method is also worth doing 5 minutes per day.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Fort Campbell, KY

I had the same problem you had not too long ago. Then I meet Ramon Vasquez.

He taught me alot about how you need a good set of lungs to play your best. He made us do breathing exercises everyday to build your lungs and better your diaphram. IT REALLY DID HELP ME!!!! AND I'M SURE IT WILL HELP YOU!!!

Start small: Using a metronome breath in for 4 count and out for 4
    In for 6 and out for 6
    In for 8 and out for 8
    and so on for 12 counts
    then go back down

Then mix it up: In for 4 out for 2, in for 6 out for 3, and so on

Every once and a while push yourself hard: in for 2 out for 2 and in for 1 out for 1

put your metronome at 100 on normal days, on hard days put it no faster that 150

write me back and tell me if this helped you :)

King Model 601 (my favorite horn so far)
    Vincent Bach 3c and 5c
    Spirit Drum and Bugle Corps 08, 09
    Choctawhatchee Stylemarchers 07,08
    ROLL TIDE!!!

Forte User

I too believe that you should concentrate on you breathing.
    There isn´t a lot of air in your tone (which is good) and I
    therefore wonder why you think that there´s a gap between
    your lips when you play. Could it be that you now play with
    your TEETH wider apart, while your LIPS are still held together?

Now I still play a little offcenter, but my lips are further apart when I play than most people. I can't buzz without my mouthpiece for example.
    Many trumpeters play offcenter. It´s not concidered a problem.

Buzzing without the mouthpiece is a questionable act. I personally
    never do it since I regard the mp as being part of my embouchure.
    Buzzing WITH the mp is a different matter; I think that has a value
    if not being overdone.

From what I could hear, your embouchure is OK. Make them happy
    with some additional air support, and things will be just fine!

Forte User

I agree with those who mentioned that you need more air support. I will also guess that you're using too much pressre when you're trying to play higher notes. If you feel that your lips are spread apart and you can't buzz from your embochure without a mouthpiece, then you're probably compensating with pressure. You're young now so you're probably getting away with it to a degree, but you need to have someone who knows what they're doing take a look at your setup and see what's happening...

I've just found out that my breathing was the cause of a lot of faults I had , bad tone , gasping for air by the end of any piece , my teacher pointed it out ,seems so obvious now and after less than two weeks of practice there is a remarkable improvement in my sound and over playing so get a privet teacher , I for one think it's worth it.

Thread Information