Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Mnozil Brass...GREATEST EVER!!! in the General forums; They are a fantastic group. One of my teachers was at ITG, and was telling me how he was able ...
    Mezzo Piano User Brass crusader's Avatar
    Buffalo, NY/ Hartford, CT

Re: Mnozil Brass...GREATEST EVER!!!

They are a fantastic group. One of my teachers was at ITG, and was telling me how he was able to play with the members, he said it was sheer fun.
    I'd love to see them live sometime!
    AFM Local 400

Banned Mezzo Piano User

Before I pass judgement on them could someone point me to a youtube video where they actualy play their instruments and do not sing out of key of cluck like chicken's? Are German I am guessing so since only a German would wear running shoes with a suit on! ANyways maybe if I could hear them actualy playing seriously I would like them but I am not willing to sift through all the Youtube video's to find their good stuff!

When I wanted a new radio for my little Geo Metro that I bought the wife I got one by clucking songs like a chicken on long trips. The wife quickly agreed to let me buy a working radio for the car and not give me any grief about it. At the time we where both poor college students working part time and going to school full time. So money was tight. The last thing I think is appropiate for a brass group to do is cluck like a chicken! That is just anoying.

Now Tower of Power is a great group that use's plenty of brass winds and wood winds and covered all kinds of music from Folk to Funk and they turned out over 40 records at least. They have a brass heavy sound that is great! Olus they do not cluck like chickens. Santan has even performed with them along with many many famious blues,jazz,folk and even some rock performers. If they played an instrument you never know who you might find sitting in with them of touring with them!!

I am sure they are tallented but "Greatest Ever" I think that is stretch until they stop goofing off and play. I can just see Maynard Fergusion stoping in the middle of Camelion to cluck like a chicken and how that would just add to the entire performance that little something that has always been lacking! LOL

Lucky for us all their is room in this world for all kinds of music!!!

You have got to be kidding me.
    First of all, Canadian Brass wear tennis shoes and suits.
    Second. These guys are masters at their instruments. They make their concerts fun and exciting. They push the boundaries of what performing groups can do at a performance.
    People have been combining music and comedy for years. Hopefully they never stop.
    This is like complaining that Louis Armstrong can't play because he doesn't sing real words when he scats!

Banned Mezzo Piano User

No actualy I like Louis Armstrong but I can understand why some people would not like Scat!!! I happen to like it but it is not for everyone that is sure. Bix Biederbeck (sp) super talented musician a real artist but I do nto care for his sound. I never said they where not talented what I said is that I could not find a clip on Youtube where they actualy played their instruments much. All the ones I came across looked more lik Monty Pothyons Flying Circus haveing a go at playing brass instruments. So I amonly asking that someone please point me to a clip where Ic an actualy hear them doing what a brass musician does and that is play the instrument not cluck like a chicken or purposefuly sing out of key.

I understand the idea of some performance art being out their and edgy but then it is not a true brass ensomble it is osmethign else. Some type of performance piece where they also hold brass instruments and occassioanlyy play them. Forme the music is and always has been about the music not about the words not about comedy either. So if I want funny I watch or listen to funny thing when I want music I want to hear music being played not comedy. I fail to see where comedy add's to the music in my eye's it detracts from andmakes the music less then it is. We already have opera,balletc, etc....telling stories from tagic to funny are told and music is their to accompany them but the musicians them selfs are not acting like the three stoodges or Monty Python etc...... So when some one tells me a Brass group is the best ever I expect to hear some music so absolutely beautiful that it makes me want to cry or get up and dance etc.....not a guy holding a trombone clucking like a chicken.

Again not saying they are talented and that their is not a venue for them since they do seem to be popular at the moment. I donot see them though selling out stadiums, turning out massive super selling records, or becomeing house hold names like so many professional trumpet players fromthe past have etc......... I have not heard Canadian Brass or Boston Brass cluck like a chicken or anything like that and they are in my opinion much better then Mnozil because they actualy play music in a continious fashion in a way that sound great!!!

P.S. The sneakers coment where meant to get a chuckle that was not a big thing but it does stand out.

Tekirova, Antalya, Turkey

You should surf some more. There is plenty of clips where Mnozil don't make comedy or sing. One that I like quite a lot is the famous theme Green Hornet:

There is enough on the web, just surf some more.
    Last edited by trumpetnick; 12-29-2008 at 01:36 PM.

Amara Music Academy
    Go on vacation, learn to play an instrument
    The Official Group of Nick I
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada to come...

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

Banned Mezzo Piano User

Oh and just because I do notlike their style does not make them any less artistic or talented it just means I do not think they are the "greatest or best ever" those are some big shoe's to fill!!! In my world their is plenty of room for just about anything or anyone. I never did say that they where not taleneted by the way I just do not like their act is all. I personaly do not like antic's with my music. I think antics and mixed with music is best left to Janet Jackson and Justin Timber Lake!!LOL

If you can not stand up as a good role model, please sit down!

Chicago Custom X-VR Lead

BrassNor Alexander Custom cornet
    BrassNor Versatile Bb Custom trumpet

Quote Originally Posted by lovevixen555 View Post
    The last thing I think is appropiate for a brass group to do is cluck like a chicken! That is just anoying.
    That is the kind of thinking that got Obama elected to President.....
    Jesus Christ is Lord!

Stage 1 California Custom Bb
    Benge 90B
    Yamaha YTR-232S
    1962 Conn 22b Victor
    Looking for a Vintage Cornet!

London, England

lovevixen555, you really need to see one of their dvd's, especially Seven. You cant judge a group on youtube clips, the sound is poor quality and it is only what people have chosen to upload themselves.

In my own opinion, i love the idea of bringing personality to music which is why Louis Armstrong is my favourite trumpet player/performer. I think that brass music needs to adapt to survive because to someone who has no idea about playing a brass instrument, and even to some of us who do, the standard things are boring and tedious.

Doing things like linking the Light Cavalry Overture to pieces like James Bond is genius and it makes the music fun. Also they werent just doing chicken impressions, they were clucking a tune which sounds like chicken's clucking, its meant to be a joke. Why does music have to be serious? Is it an unwritten law that means that any musical group has to stick to a type of music and be totaly serious about it? If brass players did more to entertain the general public, the people we are meant to be focussing on, then maybe we wouldn't be stuck with the rubbish popular music of today...?

If you think they need to prove themselves or something then listen to Green Hornet Theme or Peter Gunn Theme and then honestly say they aren't brilliant. Also the Jazz duet between Thomas Gansch and Leonard Paul is out of this world!

I would not make an effort to go to a standard brass concert as i find them boring as anything, even though i play, but i would make an effort for a group like Mnozil as they are a breath of fresh air and absolutly fantastic all round musicians who not only play to an excellent standard but arrange and compose most of their repertoire too.

They may not be "household names" but how many brass groups are? How many trumpet players are nowadays? And how many people in the future will attend concerts of brass bands in the next few generations, attendance is already pathetic as it is, i doubt any instrumental group would "fill a stadium" today.

Im not trying to start an argument here, i just feel you have missed the point of Mnozil Brass and i hope i have provided some food for thought too...

Yamaha 8340EM Trumpet Bb
    Jupiter 600ML Trumpet Bb
    Bach Strad Flugel Bb
    Getzen Eterna Cornet Bb
    Getzen Eterna Cornet Eb

"Music is a journey. Jazz is getting lost"
    "Better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you're a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" -- Mark Twain

New Zealand

Green Hornet
    How I love thee...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information