Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Mnozil Brass...GREATEST EVER!!! in the General forums; OK, it's time to make another bold statement...I love these moments! I would like to go on record as saying ...
    Pianissimo User

Mnozil Brass...GREATEST EVER!!!

OK, it's time to make another bold statement...I love these moments! I would like to go on record as saying that I believe the Mnozil Brass is the greatest brass group in the history of the genre. They have a higher level of sheer virtuosity, ensemble, overall musicality and stylistic flexibility, comedic timing, and staging than any group in history...and they sing too...very well I might add. In short, this is a group that just gets it!!!

Anyone who has seen them throughout Europe understands. As this is a primarily North American based web forum, very few people here have seen them live. Youtube clips are fantastic but for anyone who thinks they understand Mnozil from seeing them on a computer, listen to what our European, Australian and Asian friends have to say who have experienced them live. They have a magic spell on an audience from beginning to end of a concert and the energy they build up and their sheer manipulation of the audience's emotions (of course, I say that as a huge compliment) is absolutely unprecedented. This does not negate the great work of other groups like Boston Brass (my current favorite quintet), Empire, Dallas, German, Synergy, etc and my old colleagues Canadian, it is to say however that Mnozil has launched an entirely new standard for what is possible.

They have been commissioned by the esteemed Salzburg Festival to produce their second full scale opera (their first was Das Trojanische Boot which was enthusiastically received by both audiences and critics throughout Europe) this summer. Not only are their shows side-splittingly funny, they have some of the highest individual virtuosity ever witnessed on stage (Thomas Gansch/trumpet and Zoltan Kiss/trombone in particular...both freaks of brass nature) and the ensemble playing of the three trumpets and three trombones (anchored by stellar tuba playing) is impeccably amazing, in tune, balanced and all with a beautiful sound that becomes a terrifying wall on command. Further, just when you thought that it was simply a virtuosic comedy act, they come along and play (or sing) something with such poignant beauty that it brings the other tears as well.

I have waited my entire career to see a group take it to the next level and Mnozil is that group. Anyone who witnessed their Canadian debut at ITG last week will agree. They have only performed in North America a couple of times and I am certain that they will eventually give more concerts here. This is the perfect example of the fact that the internet has given them an underground cult following but does not do them nearly enough justice...any young, ambitious groups should take careful note of their creativity...Mnozil Brass are the reigning kings of the brass world!

Jens Lindemann
    Jens Lindemann's Web Quarters
    Canadian Brass (1996-2001)

In a room in a house

Re: Mnozil Brass...GREATEST EVER!!!

I just heard them and they sound pretty cool.

Some weird combo between Classical Brass music and Jazz and all that fun stuff. It is interesting for sure.
    "I'll play it and tell you what it is later." - Miles Davis
    "Do not fear mistakes. There are none." - Miles Davis

TR300 Bach [marching horn]
    Big Apple Bach Strad (ML)

1952 Olds Ambassador L.A

Mouthpiece: Curry 5c, Olds 3 (for the cornet atm)

Kalamazoo, Michigan

Thanks, Jens. The first time I saw them on Youtube, via my good stereo system, they immediately struck a wacky chord that I can relate to, and their audience impact was evident even in that format, plus all the attributes stated. Their instruments have been widely discussed on the forums. Glad they made it to the ITG and hopefully will have more North American appearances to widen their "cult following".
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

Administrator Fortissimo User MJ's Avatar

They were awesome at the ITG in NJ a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ View Post
    They were awesome at the ITG in NJ a couple of years ago.
    The New Jersey experience was the best for me. The pictures of great trumpet players and the act that went with it was unique and very well thought out. That act was timeless.
    "I was performing professionally at age 17 and have never had a real job." Allen Vizzutti

New Friend

they are so talented that i want them to stop the shenanigans
    and play some music!

Banned Mezzo Forte User

That was what struck me also. Not that i didn't appreciate their brand.

I agree! Mnozil has redefined brass ensemble playing. The arrangements are very original/unique and they stretch the envelope about what is acceptable practice. Anybody that has played any of their arrangements knows what is needed - even if we have enough chops to get through - THEY have a show on top of that.

Jens is 100% on the money - absolutely KILLER!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Pianissimo User

I too heard they were a wonderful group. But, this exact same post was on the TH. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who was there. I've heard very mixed reviews of this years YTG.
    Michael Manthey
    Scodwell USA Trumpets
    Bob Reeves Mpc's
    Maynard Ferguson BBN Band

Pianissimo User

Mnozil is an amazing musical group -- they're not just about brass. I had the pleasure not only of seeing and hearing them live at this year's ITG, but also of talking with most of them over meals and at seminars there. They were all great guys -- and were there the whole week!

It's not a matter of them being better than any other brass group; they are so unique, and each member brings such special skills and personality to the stage, that to imagine some other group "playing their book" doesn't make a lot of sense. I like the fact that our musical world can have both the Mnozil Brass and the American Brass Quintet (both favorites of mine) -- and every flavor of group in between.

Regarding this year's ITG -- Jens assembled one of the most amazing rosters of trumpet artists (plus two of the most amazing trombonists) I've ever heard: Doc Severinsen, Chris Martin, Dave Douglas, Sergei Nakariakov, Sean Jones, Paul Merkelo, Ingrid Jensen, Allen Vizzutti, Tiger Okoshi, Maurice Murphy, Guy Few, Adam Rapa, Frits Damrow -- just to name a few -- all in one place!

Banff was a beautiful setting -- well worth the trip -- and the Banff Centre was very nice indeed (the food was excellent!).

This was the first ITG conference I ever attended, precisely because the list of artists and presenters was so compelling. I heard many long-time conference veterans declare this year's conference ("ITG 33") as one of the most outstanding.
    Last edited by dambly; 06-13-2008 at 09:52 AM.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information