Trumpet Discussion Discuss Monette mixed with non-Monette in the General forums; Hi Mr. L- I play a Bach 239/25H with a Laskey mouthpiece. I used to play a Monette STC 1 ...
    Forte User

Monette mixed with non-Monette

Hi Mr. L-

I play a Bach 239/25H with a Laskey mouthpiece. I used to play a Monette STC 1 C trumpet but switched because I wasn't happy with the setup.

Here's my question: I'm looking for an Eb trumpet that sounds like a C trumpet so that I can use it in the orchestra for some things. I was thinking about either a Blackburn or Monette 993 Eb in raw brass. Do you think that since I play on non-Monette horns for everything else I could or couldn't play the Monette for Eb. The problem is that the other Eb's on the market just can't get a big sound!

Utimate User

I think it would not be an optimal fit with a conventional mpc on one of Dave's horns. Virtually everytime I've done that to show a student, the pitch is really less than desired. The upper register is always too low, that's been my experience.

Coincidentally, I bought a used Eb from Mike Thompson... OMG! This thing is gorgeous, what a sound I could get on it. I played the Neruda a few months ago on it and I was very, very happy with the richness of the sound. As you say, it sounded like a C trumpet.

Maybe you want to check with him if you're serious about a new horn. I have to say, I've never played an Eb with a more beautiful, creamy sound than this one.

Houston, TX
    Have you thought about maybe getting a Schilke or a Yamaha Eb with tuning bell and just having a 229 bell made for it? I knew a guy that did this and was thrilled with the set up, best of luck!
    Music isn't a career, it's a way of life.

Piano User
    Wynton has used that setup in the past i understand, with the 229 bell on the Eb.

Forte User
    Quote Originally Posted by dbacon
    I almost went that route with Charlie Melk, but my Schilke E3L would need to be cut down to fit the bell. It plays so well in tune, I decided against it.
    Once they cut it down can you still use the D bell? or can you only play the horn in E flat?

Thread Information