Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
Like Tree25Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Monette Prices in the General forums; Just wanted to chime in again based on my 2-year experience with a P3. Great horn, but I'm thoroughly convinced ...
    Pianissimo User

Re: Monette Prices

Just wanted to chime in again based on my 2-year experience with a P3. Great horn, but I'm thoroughly convinced that the pricing gap between Monette and other horns greatly exceeds the quality gap. That's not to say the quality is bad. I think Dave invests in ensuring the horns go together sans tension in the parts...which is huge. That said...As the former marketing VP at BMW used to say..."the price of our automobiles has nothing to do with how much it costs to build them. $4,000 extra for a different bell alloy? Really? It's worth $4,000 more because folks believe it's better...NOT because it costs $4,000 more to produce. It's the same reason why Dave gets $1,000 for a set of finger buttons (hey, I paid for them, and they were great...but it's an emotional thing). In speaking with a very well known west-coast player about Monette horns (hint: Big Phat Band), he indicated they're completely impractical for the real world (i.e. getting hired to do serious, diversified studio work). That's not to say they're bad, and obviously there are great players that make them sound great. They are just different, and unique. If you have the resources to get one, by all means do so. I'm certainly glad I did. It's truly worth the experience...if for no other understand the relationship between the mystique and reality. DCBROWN1

Banned Fortissimo User
    Florida, US

Thanks for sharing DCBROWN1, I really understand about the prices. But 1K for finger buttons??!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Wow, but I guess that cost gets added into the total and you dont even think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by BustedChops View Post
    The bread and butter for David Monette is his overpriced mouthpiece production. His horns are limited...therefore inflated. If he increased production nobody would care for his horns or give them the same praise.

Monette gets his artificial pricing through artificial supply. It's marketing...Big whoop. I'll take 100 Olds Ambasadors over 1 Monette Prana any day of the week.

At least I know the 100 olds horns will last much longer and take a beating. There is utilitarian and then there is art. I prefer to use my stuff. If I was ever to purchase a Monette trumpet I'd want a 50 year warranty on my valves regardless...of abuse...then I'd consider the horn.
    Here we go again. Value is what production costs. Just ignore the maschines that have to be paid for and serviced, the time spent on R&D as well as QC. You guys really crack me up with an extremely limited scope of what running a business costs when you DON'T steal other peoples ideas. You also have no idea how many mouthpieces he makes or how long it takes. Granted, once someone has done all the legwork, it is easy to STEAL and offer a cheap copy.

You have no idea how long a Monette will last. It is stupid to make a comment based on NOTHING. It is interesting to note that even the early models are commanding a very high price used. Obviously others view the value of the horn differently.

Another pretty naive assumption is artificial supply. If someone hires enough employees to finish 6 instruments a month, what is artificial? Why should Monette try and mass produce his horns? He currently has control over every aspect (except plating) from purchase of material to mailing to the customer. He is having fun as is his clients.

The marketing comment also comes up often. Also pretty naive. He has his website and Facebook page, offers videos of people actually playing his stuff and views of the various manufacturing stages. Do you see Bach doing this?

I just do not understand the heartburn with Monette instruments. He isn't putting any of the cheap-os out of business, isn't doing damage to the used market or involved in any subversive activities to ruin lives. The brainlessness of these price discussions is disgusting. Thread closed.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread Information