Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree150Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Are Monette trumpets and mouthpieces really that good? in the General forums; Which Monette do you have? (Awesome b-day gift!)...
    Piano User

Re: Are Monette trumpets and mouthpieces really that good?

Which Monette do you have? (Awesome b-day gift!)
    Let your music paint with colors, textures, and passion! 

Monette P3-STC
    Bach Strad 37
    Bach Cornet
    @TrumpetGamerGuy (Twitter)

I got a B3FS7. As look at the Kanstul comparator, the Monette that I have is a damn close to a Bach 1 1/2c size. So, I am looking to see if I can play a Bach 1 1/2c and still match those in sound around me. I forgot to mention that Jason was terrific to work with. He mentioned that as I become more efficient that the B3FS7 may not be appropriate for me and that I may want a different piece at some time in future; May be that is what happen. Because, in the time since purchasing the Monette, I made really great strides in my approach to playing as learned how to better follow the advice of my teacher who was a long-time student of Armando Ghitalla.

BB
    There is so much good in the worst of us,
    And so much bad in the best of us,
    That it hardly behooves any of us
    To talk about the rest of us.

Edward Wallis Hoch, Marion (Kansas) Record
    (1849 - 1925)

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherBACH View Post
    I got a B3FS7. As look at the Kanstul comparator, the Monette that I have is a damn close to a Bach 1 1/2c size. So, I am looking to see if I can play a Bach 1 1/2c and still match those in sound around me. I forgot to mention that Jason was terrific to work with. He mentioned that as I become more efficient that the B3FS7 may not be appropriate for me and that I may want a different piece at some time in future; May be that is what happen. Because, in the time since purchasing the Monette, I made really great strides in my approach to playing as learned how to better follow the advice of my teacher who was a long-time student of Armando Ghitalla.

BB
    I could be wrong but, I don't think the mouthpiece design alone would change your sound much. Not enough to worry about blend. It really should be about pitch.

Just as a test that really means nothing. Put in the Monette and use a tuner. Play very soft to very loud on the same note and see what happens. Do the same with the Bach. Then with the Bach play a slow two octave c scale and watch the tuner. Now change to the Monette and do the same thing. Theoretically, you'll see what he means by "constant pitch center"

Piano User

The mouthpiece absolutely can change your sound ie. bigger or smaller, warmer etc. I've been on quite the equipment journey since August. I too play on the B3F S7. BB do you play the Prana version? If not they are insanely great to play on!

Monette P3-STC
    Bach Strad 37
    Bach Cornet

Quote Originally Posted by Tjnaples View Post
    The mouthpiece absolutely can change your sound ie. bigger or smaller, warmer etc. I've been on quite the equipment journey since August. I too play on the B3F S7. BB do you play the Prana version? If not they are insanely great to play on!
    You're correct but, I thought I read that he went from a Monette to a Bach of the same size and blended better.

I do not know what you mean by "prana version". But, it looks like a Bach Megatone. I will say that the Monette is short with a bigger opening than the Bach 3C that I am using. I had to put my tuning slide out further than before to be in tune with the rest of my section. But, that it different from "color" or texture. I was just different than either my section members or teacher. Does that make sense?

BB

(1849 - 1925)

Piano User

Here is a link to the Monette website describing the Prana version vice the standard version. Be advised if you play tight Prana mouthpieces are feisty and you'll struggle. They're kind of like a high maintenance relationship, high rewards though lol. As my technique has improved dramatically (thanks Adam Rapa) I've found that the new equipment along with using the "Alexander Technique" has made me leaps and bounds better sounding. Resonance, tone, range, you name it.

David G. Monette Corporation

Monette P3-STC
    Bach Strad 37
    Bach Cornet

If you play in a section where YOU have to blend, that is when you invariably have an issue. If I played a Kelly Screamer in a section, nobody would argue that's inappropriate for that job. If you work with the Monette long enough you may be able to figure it out or it may not work all. Several players I know have Monette mpcs, but don't use them in a section because the sound is different. It's not bad, just different, so they use a conventional piece.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherBACH View Post
    I do not know what you mean by "prana version". But, it looks like a Bach Megatone. I will say that the Monette is short with a bigger opening than the Bach 3C that I am using. I had to put my tuning slide out further than before to be in tune with the rest of my section. But, that it different from "color" or texture. I was just different than either my section members or teacher. Does that make sense?

BB
    The slide out is a clue that you are not relaxed. Choking off to compensate for the openness of the mouthpiece. This will change your sound.

I love Adam Rapa's work. He makes playing look so easy! I wouldn't mind taking some lessons over Skype. At any rate, it could very well be that I was not relaxed. I thought I was. My teacher did like the sound just not the color or something. No knocking the Monette at all as I really liked it.

BB

(1849 - 1925)

Thread Information