Trumpet Discussion Discuss a month later in the General forums; hi folks, in my thirties i bought a trumpet a month ago (B&S Challenger) and started taking classes. i'm happy ...
    New Friend

a month later

hi folks, in my thirties i bought a trumpet a month ago (B&S Challenger) and started taking classes. i'm happy with my progress so far. if you don't mind i'd like to share it so that it gives some hint to people thinking about starting trumpet. i did alot of research and couldn't really find something like this online when i was researching the subject.

day 0- bought the horn
    day 1- unable to produce any recognizable trumpet sound
    day 3- some sound but definitely not a tone
    day 4- scheduled first lesson was already thinking this trumpet business smells fishy
    day 7- first lesson, was able to hit c-d-e-f-g still uneasy about the whole thing
    7-13 practiced 2-3 times
    d 14- second lesson felt really better
    d-21- third lesson learned the next a-b-c and enjoyed it alot especially the c
    22-27 practiced 3 times and was able to hit some folk tunes
    d-28 fourth lesson i'm starting to enjoy the whole thing alot

today i was pretty happy with my tones, i'm out to buy a method.
    at this point i can play a couple of folk music and they sound pretty good almost perfect at low tempo.

of all the excercises i've gone through with the prof, i'd say the most importants were the pencil, the buzzing on the mouth piece (although i hate it), long tones, and the breathing training.

on this scale i'm still having some little issues with detaching the tones when i increase the tempo... the prof said it will come but my progress is really good (guess he's encouraging me hehe)

here are some advice he gave me they might help some new autodidacts

breath with your stomach (as in yoga)
    don't puff jaws
    tongue behind teeth
    relaxed throat as in when you yawn

breathing excercises in counts (do it in horn without making any tone)
    ex 1 in-out 1-1, 1-2, 1-3,... 1-8
    ex 2 in-out 1-1, 2-2, 3-3,... 8-8
    ex 3 in-out 1-1, 2-1, 3-1,... 8-1 (love this one you have to empty your air in one count)

the other stuff i'd neet music sheets... anyway if anyone has a comment or a hint i'd appreciate it and i'm also looking for very simple trumpet partitions of fun music (latino, folk, dance) but very easy for me to try
    something along this line
    Advice for Playing Trumpet

thanks and happy buzzing :)

Re: a month later

you are on the right track! getting lessons is the best way to avoid bad habits that could haunt you in the future!

All I would suggest at this stage is to play as often as you can. Get yourself a Hymnbook. There are tons of easy well known tunes that do not "waste your face"! You learn to read fluently and time your breathing to the phrases.

Once you have reached a moderate amount of skill, find a band! Ensemble makes the experience AWESOME!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Re: a month later

I just started playing trumpet too a couple months ago, 20 years or so (I'm also in my 30's)after buying one and making a feeble attempt at learning to play. I have been a woodwind player for over 25 years so it's been a little tough learning to play a brass instrument. I have to say though that I love it! Like you, I've been making steady progress to the point where I can play some tunes that I like. I too have had trouble detaching when playing quicker tempos but hopefully that will improve in time. I think the key is just keep plugging away and enjoy yourself.
    I agree with Rowuk that at some point you should join an ensemble because then you'll really get some good practice and improve. There are plenty of community bands around that you should look into joining as soon as you feel comfortable enough to hold your own. I play sax in a community band now and it has really helped me to improve my playing ability. I'm hoping to join another one next year as a trumpet player. Wish me luck!

Keep up the good work. Sounds like you're doing just fine.

Thread Information