Trumpet Discussion Discuss More on my Embouchure Change in the General forums; I'm not sure that I would call what I'm doing an "embouchure change", but it is a big change for ...
    Georgia, USA

More on my Embouchure Change

I'm not sure that I would call what I'm doing an "embouchure change", but it is a big change for me. I just wanted to ask any of you pros out there if these things I'm noticing are signs of going in the right direction or not. I know that you can't diagnose a trumpet player over the internet, but I think that I'm going to be mentioning some "buzz" words (pardon the pun) that indicate correct playing. I'll start by reminding you, if you've not read any of my other recent posts on the topic, that I used to pull the mouthpiece down on my face to play higher, and then I would pull it back up on my face for the lower to middle register. I've realized that I should have left the mouthpiece pulled down and I should have played the full register of the horn with it set that way and here are a few reasons I believe why:

1. My tone is clearer - it just sounds more "right" to my ears, and it has this sort of "ping" to the attacked notes unlike before.
    2. My flexibility is much better - I felt like I was muscling through middle register lip trills before, and now it just feels natural and fairly easy to do, and upper register trills are a cinch.
    3. My endurance has improved greatly - like my middle register lip trills, I felt like I was muscling through my days... I felt tired from the beginning of the day until the end. Now I feel like I just have to be careful not to over stress my upper lip too much by pinching it with pressure from being to tired to hold the embouchure. Otherwise, I feel pretty good most of the time.
    4. Playing now feels more like finesse - Again, my playing before was more about muscling through everything. Now it feels like I'm finessing through everything, and I just have to learn to control it well. With that said, things can go haywire a little bit if I slack off on corner support, but most of the time I'm successful at finessing through stuff.

I could go on and on I think, but the point is in there somewhere. I really feel like I've stumbled onto the greatest secret to my trumpet playing. I've just been playing wrong my whole life... well, I played wrong half the time and right half the time, but only in the upper register. I hope that things continue to get better and that I don't find 2 years down the road that I'm ruining myself, but how could so many things work so well with such a simple change and it not be good?

Re: More on my Embouchure Change

it sounds "wonderful". As far as playing wrong all of your life, I would disagree. Suboptimal is only wrong when you get dicouraged and quit. You obviously accomplished quite a bit previously and even found the motivation to risk a great change. I would take credit for your (old) preseverance and before writing off those days, think about how many people around you got great pleasure from and were proud of your playing. The gift of music is not based on absolute quality (although that can increase OUR personal pleasure infinitely!). Keep up the good work - and the updates!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

New Friend

Re: More on my Embouchure Change

I guess I would have to say that if what you're doing feels and sounds better to you, then keep doing it.

Thread Information