Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Morning Marching Band in the General forums; Thanks all for the replies. Kehaulani, I'm not drinking untill I can't anymore, I know my limits, but it's about ...
    Piano User

Re: Morning Marching Band

Thanks all for the replies. Kehaulani, I'm not drinking untill I can't anymore, I know my limits, but it's about the morning after.

Btw, any tips on marching?
    Yamaha YTR-2335
    Yamaha YFH-631 Work in progress

Huntsville, Texas

Squeeze your butt cheeks and engage your abs.
    "There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality: there is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury; then there's the dark side...." --Michael Stewart

I'm with Kehaulani. And The Last Post deserves your utmost respect. Play it sober or don't play it at all!
    ''I'm nearly as good as I need to be,
    but not nearly as good as I'd like to be".

~Wild Thing Trumpet~ Eclipse Enigma Trumpet ~
    ~Kanstul 1525 Flugel ~ Smith Watkins K2 Cornet ~
    ~ Besson Bugle ~ JP152 C Trumpet ~

Pianissimo User
    Battle Creek, MI

Kehaulani has it pegged. Drink responisibly. That's the big tag line here in the States. Make sure you're hydrating as much of the headache associated with hangovers is due to dehydration (lack of adequate water intake). Alcohol tends to dehydrate you, so even though you think you're drinking a lot, you're actually doing the opposite. And if you're drinking water, you're not drinking as much beer. Asprin or Ibuprofen can help, although it's not wise liver-wise to mix them with alcohol. Otherwise, if you insist on partying like you don't have a job to do, you just need to steel yourself to suffer the consequences. No way to compensate for the lack of sleep, but do visit the coffee shop and get a couple or three shots of espresso or what we call a "red-eye" which is two shots of espresso and topped off with regular coffee. That should keep you on your feet for the parade. Just visit the facitlites before you march...nothing worse than a bursting bladder during a parade. Good luck!
    1932 Conn 2B Special trumpet
    1956 Martin Committee Deluxe cornet
    1964 (ish) Holton Al Hirt Special cornet
    1972 Bach Stradivarus model 37
    Maxtone Flugelhorn

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

Left foot forward, right foot forward and repeat sequence. That's all there is to marching. Just healthwise, don't expect me to do it again now. Lyres can be a pain and many instruments now don't have an adequate VERTICAL holder and steal from the 3rd valve slide control to make do which was never intended and more often a loose fit. Also, many attempt to use them backward. It is the rigid side that slides into the music portfolio and the clamp is exposed towards the bell of a trumpet. Techs can provide you a matching lyre and mounting holder for your marching "beater" trumpet. Still, the best performances are from memorized music.

Fortissimo User
    in exile from Germany

Quote Originally Posted by GijsVis View Post
    Btw, any tips on marching?
    Actually, yes. I always tried to roll my feet as much as I could and keep from stomping them vertically downward. Also, walking in a bit of a duck-walk, e.g. from the waist down in a little bit of a squat can help to absorb the impact of the feet upwards and minimise upper-body bouncing, but that also takes more body conditioning and control over any length of time and I never thought it was worth it in the long haul.
    You can't blow it if you haven't lived it.

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    Chet Baker

Schilke B7
    Martin Committee (1956)
    Connstellation 38B (1959)
    LA Benge 3X (1970s)
    Hans Hoyer G-10 Geyer Horn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information