Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Trumpet Discussion Discuss The Morrison Digital Trumpet, a must see! in the General forums; Little did I realize that when I created this post I'd have created such a debate I agree with everyone ...
    Piano User
    Toronto Canada
    Little did I realize that when I created this post I'd have created such a debate

I agree with everyone who says that this Digital trumpet does detract from the human element completly. And yes there are lazy musicians out there who are gonna learn this Digital trumpet EXCLUSIVLY, which is a crying shame!

Then there are the people out there like me who are artists, craftsmen who have been working on defining, and developing our trumpet sound for countless years, who will buy a Digital Trumpet to augment our playing experience when needed. However in my opinion this digital trumpet will be a wonderful tool to add to our musical palet much the same way that many different mutes do.

This thing is a tool, an elaborate electronic mute (if you will) to create and change your musical palet. THeres no reason for any of us to get up tight about everyone playing a Digital Trumpet and it replacing acoustic instruments, because it will NEVER happen. No more then the whole world will play a Harmon mute 100% of the time.

Of course there are gonna be (for lack of a better word) losers out there that are gonna learn this Digital Trumpet only, and thats a crying shame because never will they know the joy of breathing life and creating real music from scratch from the very depths of thier souls.

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

Piano User

another viewpoint

I look at the digital trumpet (or even the old EVI) as opening options FOR trumpet players, not against them. Years ago, piano players were the only one that could use midi devices as there were only keyboard based midi controllers. The Morrison (and the Akai/Steiner) synthesizers give that option to trumpet players.

I wish we could all earn all our livings by strictly playing the trumpet, but regular, everyday trumpet players often have to double on non-brass/non-wind instruments. We have to play percussion, sing backup, maybe even double on keyboard or guitar or do lights and run the PA. By using a midi device as the Morrison or EVI, and truly learning the nuances of the instruments we are trying to synthesize, we possibly can complete with keyboard synth players. And I'm not necessarily talking about stealing a gig from a violin player or an oboe player. I'm talking about gigs that would never hire a string section, or never hire a double reed player due to logistical reasons or budget. They would simply do without or use a keyboard player to cover the part. Top 40 bands, musical theater, music engraving, arranging & composition, etc., etc., etc. This gives the midi option to trumpet players that don't posses keyboard skills.

And I agree that nothing will ever truly replace the sound from an acoustic instrument played by a trained musicians. And, a synthesizer in the hands of a trained musician would be a definite plus.

These are all tools that trained musicians can use for performance, education, recording, composition, etc. I believe true artistry and musicians transcend the tools. They carry over. Imagine the possibility of increasing our marketability, which could lead to more, possibly different gigs. It's not always about art, sometimes its about business and livelihood.

To contrast the strictly business outlook I mentioned above, look at people like Chick Corea and Michael Brecker have used synthesizers to create NEW solo voices, not merely immitating acoustic instruments. They have used synths to expand their creative endevours, alongside with their acoustic instruments. I don't see them as compromising anything. Michael Brecker says the EVI opened up a whole new world for him, and when he comes back to the saxophone, it feels even fresher.

I do deeply respect Manny and the others that feel very strongly about their views. Here' s just another way of looking at it.

Utimate User

You and I don't disagree.

Would it be kind of fun to watch a well-known jazz artist pick up one of those things as part of his/her show and play some smickety smack licks on it and then resume playing a real trumpet? Sure, it would.

Would it be somewhat irritating for me to see some hack in a lounge on Route 66 who never played trumpet playing one of those things and calling himself a trumpeter? Yeah, probably.

But, anyway, I really don't think we disagree.

Piano User

we do agree

Your comments and input are always appreciate by me. We agree. I'd hate to hear a trumpet coming out of that thing. There will always be abuses of technology, or even acoustic instruments. I've worked with guys that abuse real trumpets. They'd sound better on the toy!! But, I digress...

While I agree that seeing some hack on a digital trumpet would be annoying as hell, much like a hack singer that couldn't sing or any hack on any instrument trying to pull a fast one on the audience. Those folks will always be around, regardless of the toy, or tool of the day. Unfortunately, they will find a crowd that will listen. That's why we well always respect and appreciate the true artists and craftsmen like yourself that are in the musical trenches every day, and still can maintain their musicianship at a high level without compromise

But, I recognize that there is a side to this tool than real trumpet players (or valve users) can take advantage of. I don't look as it so much as the hacks playing a toy trumpet, but rather as another tool in trumpet players' tool belt. Like being able to do sound, or lights, or play flugel, sing, or double on keyboard.

Thanks for you input.

PS. I saw you Hawaii years ago soloing with your wife's (?) school orchestra. Probably back in the late 1980's. Beautiful, just beautiful........

Digital Trumpet

My 2 cents - -

Maybe we can just call it CYBER TRUMPETING and leave it at that...

We all understand that there is no comparrison between the REAL world and the CYBER world.

Doesn't matter how good technology gets... these things will always remain the REAL DEAL:

- Driving a Car / Motorbike
    - Flying a Airplane
    I've even heard they have cyber sex software...

See what I mean? The original will always remain the REAL DEAL...
    No matter how good technology gets, AIR, LIPS & METAL can not be replaced (and I don't mean a Job - that we know already has) by BITS, BYTES...

okay, maybe that was 3 cents...

Forte User
    Northern New York
    Garry- Every time I see this thread on the recent post, I give it more thought. I agree with you 100%. That's why I replied on p.1 the way I did. Someone like Bill Chase or Marcus Stockhausen who has made use of amplification and electronics in a musical context could have a new world opened creatively speaking. It allows the trumpeter to access MIDI in a way not accessible before by interacting with a controller the way they would normally interact with their instrument; but this should by NO MEANS be used in ANY attempt to replace or duplicate a trumpet. It's not one. It's a MIDI controller that you buzz and finger LIKE a trumpet. It will never andd should never find its way into an orchestra performing Mahler, Bach or the likes or in a jazz quartett playing Miles Davis or Monk or a quintet playing Bach or any other setting where an acoustic TRUMPET SHOULD be used. Or as a substitution for any other instrument or voice. It cold find its way into a rock band to do some things like Frank Zappa has done (again, not as a trumpet but as a MIDI device), or some progressive jazz fusion beast that makes use of heavy electronics. Although MIDI sounds are cheesy and horrible for the most part, sampling and creative manipulation of sounds (musique concrete) can be more fully explored with the right equipment and creativity. Personally, I don't want one. But I could see where others might.
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

san diego
    rather drink a glass of swet from a MR-T work out be for i here that smack.
    You heard it here 1st, in what ever u do if u buy the ticket u take the ride!
    Stage 1XH Bb
    Phaeton 2030 Bb
    Jupiter flugle 846bl black
    Kersting Pocket trumpet
    Stage1 MP
    schilke 11 MP
    Sdsytems LCM77 wireless
    Shure PGX wireless

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information