Trumpet Discussion Discuss Mouth Piece Help Please! in the General forums; Well its sord of stuck, I know these things happen specially with children playing....Isnt there another way I can get ...
    New Friend
    south carolina

Mouth Piece Help Please!

Well its sord of stuck, I know these things happen specially with children playing....Isnt there another way I can get this loose? A tool from my husbands garage? Say some vice type thing that is like the same as a puller?

Also should any of the valves be pushed in while pulling the mouth piece out so not to blow a hole or something? I remember my band director telling us this but this was like more than 10 years ago....

It is a good drive for me to the nearest music store, I am even afraid the local school won't help me on this...So I hope I could get some good feedback here.

Thanks so much in advance..

I just found the mouthpiece section, I apologize if I posted in the wrong place...Please forgive me I am new here :)

"Strive to make something of yourself, then strive to make the most of yourself." --Alexander Crummell

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown
    Don't use vice-grips or pliers!!! (Sorry, but there is no way louder to write this) because you might rip some braces off. Try twisting and pulling the mouthpiece out with your hand while tapping "up" on the reciever with a wooden hammer, or the handle of a real one. If that doesn't work, most band directors have a "Bob-cat" or such to remove the mouthpiece and have seen stuck mouthpieces a zillion times. The valves don't make a difference here except perhaps as a way of holding the trumpet. Don't worry, stuck mouthpieces at least prove that they were in the horn (to practice even maybe.)
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Metro Detroit
    You'll want to be careful.

Depending on how badly it's stuck you may want to take it to the local music store and have the "proper" tool applied to pull it out.

If your confident that you can do it your self I'd reccomend that you use one of those rubber circles that you use to take the stuck lid off a mason jar or similar jar.

Should do it with a little elbow greese.

As for your valves I don't think that they'll matter much open or closed.

I'd be hesistant to use pliers or vice grips or the like as you run a good chance of tearing up the shank on your mouthpiece.

Good luck!
    2008 Eclipse MHY Bb Trumpet in Silver Plate with interchangable leadpipes
    Getzen Capri Bb Cornet
    Bach, GR & Monette mouthpieces

Thread Information