Trumpet Discussion Discuss mouthpiece buzzing. in the General forums; OK, I find myself away from home on a work mission; no horn for 8 days! I did bring a ...
    New York, U.S. of A.

mouthpiece buzzing.

OK, I find myself away from home on a work mission; no horn for 8 days! I did bring a mouthpiece though. I can\ buzz in the car to and fro work.
    What to buzz? I've been just buzzing to make some tone and warm up and then some simple tunes and ad lib over the auto stereo. Any better ideas?
    I miss my horns...
    but I'm lovn' Las vegas!
    Greg Condemi

Go to some music stores and demo any of the trumpets they have in stock.
    Larry Woods

Pianissimo User
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm wearing my black arm band for you.

If you're away on business alot, you might want to consider purchasing a pocket trumpet. They are really compact and easy to travel with, along with a great conversation starter. Depending on which one you get, also depends on the way it will sound. Some sound like cazoos and some sound like an actual trumpet.

If you still want to stick with the mouthpiece gig, that's your preference. Have you ever buzzed along with the radio, instead of over it? I find it very entertaining, while being a challenge to the emboucure. However, you might have some explaining if you try this in the car and a cop pulls you over... . "Honestly officer... I'm a trumpet player... this is not considered drug parifinalia and I'm not crazy."

Good luck with everything and I hope this helped!
    God Bless!

Chicago northern suburbs

Buzz anything!

Buzz tunes.

Buzz exerpts.

Buzz scales.

Buzz anyting that comes into your head.

Rest a lot, though. Thsi will take much more starch out of you than simply playing a horn! On the plus side, if you do LOT of buzzing on your mpce, you'll be in great shape when you get back to your horn!

FWIIW coming from me.

Mezzo Forte User
    Morelia, Mexico
    How can you not take your horn? What prevents you? I haven't been on any trip in many years (business or pleasure) where I don't take the horn. The gig bag is an easy fit under the seat.
    That said, buzz songs for ten minutes a day, you'll be amazed how much that can help,

Michael McLaughlin

"Why are our days numbered and not, say, lettered?"
    Woody Allen
    Morelia MM

Forte User
    Jerusalem, Israel
    If and when I buzz, I put a tissue next to the opening and not completely covering it.

This does three important things:

1) It provides some resistance as to what the horn would provide and thus saves your lip from over blowing;

2) It collects the moisture so that it won't drop onto your pants, shirt, and everything else you get close to.

3) You can control the back pressure by squeezing your hand at the end of the mpc/tissue if you really want to get those high notes and if you want to muffle it more should you not want to bother someone.

Liad Bar-EL

Thread Information