Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Mouthpiece Buzzing Oddities in the General forums; Hey guys, Ever since I started playing my generic Chinese brand trumpet in 6th grade I buzzed in my mouthpiece ...
    New Friend

Mouthpiece Buzzing Oddities

Hey guys,
    Ever since I started playing my generic Chinese brand trumpet in 6th grade I buzzed in my mouthpiece in what you could call an "odd" manner - instead of buzzing right in the center I buzz right on the very top of the mouthpiece to where my bottom lip gets the most vibrations. This has never affected my tone, to be honest it was better than most if not all of the trumpet players in my school at that time. However, whenever it got to music where I had to breathe a lot due to the difficulty or length of my music (I also didn't know how to circle breathe at the time) I realized that I had to buzz at a very specific spot or else it would affect my air flow. I recently attempted to buzz at the very center where it's supposed to be, but I guess due to the size of my lips I sounded like I was in 6th grade all over again. So my question is: Are there any practices for central buzzing with larger lips, or should I just stick to my normal method?

Re: Mouthpiece Buzzing Oddities

Wow.......interesting problem. I don't think I've ever heard or seen something like this.

I think you're just going to have to practice playing it "where it's supposed to be".

There are mouthpieces out there that require the player to play with mostly the lower lip (Asymmetric mouthpieces by John Lynch). I personally hated them, but that's just me...maybe you should try one out.?

Hope this helps,
    1914 Holton Revelation Cornet
    1929 Stroud Baby Grand Piano
    1950's Hammond M3 Organ

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

My advice would be just to play and let your body teach itself.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

New Friend

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll attempt to play "normally" all over again with my Blessing 3C mouthpiece first. However, if it still doesn't go so well after a while I may consider looking at those John Lynch mouthpieces you suggested. :)

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

As VB says,"...just play". There are people in all walks of life who violate even the most basic of "rules" in their area and do fine. Some basketball players do not follow the standard approach to shooting, jumping, dribbling, or anything else but they play better than many others. So, unless your method starts to hamper you in some way, it should work. Remember that tone is primary. Whatever gives the best tone is what you should do.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Piano User

I'm the last guy you should take direct advice from, but I asked a question about mouthpiece placement to m.y teacher, and he said something along the lines that one of the benefits of including pedal tones i. The routine (and not shifting placement) will cause these things to "work out.". So based on that, I'd say to ensure that your routine includes flexibilities and pedal tones to help you find the "right" place.

But, I'd be working with a teacher to be sure I'm going about things well.

The top lip does most of the buzzing, so it's good to find a position that allows it to buzz freely. The bottom lip doesn't have to buzz much at all for a successful overall buzz.

Testing this is easy ........ Buzz your lips without a mouthpiece and touch your bottom lip with an index finger. You're still buzzing. Touch the top lip with an index finger and you've stopped buzzing.

Trumpets are for extroverts - Lee Morgan

Here are a couple of links you can go to and read more in depth info that can address any issues you may have. The first link is about buzzing. Clyde's whole site is awesome and you can spend hours there.

The Trumpet embouchure - how to buzz

Since you mentioned larger than average lips, try this link for some more detailed analysis on lip/mpc combinations.

New Page 1

There maybe nothing wrong with what you are doing, your just need more practice on breathing. I'm with VB on this. Unless you are in pain, you probably don't need to change, just practice your weak areas more. Happy practicing!
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Sunny Ca.

This 'll square you away!

" It's a dog eat dog world out there and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear" Norm Peterson "Cheers"

"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up" Lilly Tomlin

Barstow, CA

Mendez: do you actually use this thing? It looks like a medevel torture device! Seroiusly, do you own this and did/does it actually help reduce pressure on the chops?
    Jim Meugniot
    1984 Kanstul F Besson MEHA
    1952 Olds Recording LA
    1972 Bach Stradivarius 37
    1951 Leblanc Cornet Paris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information