Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Mouthpiece placement in the General forums; Lip Placement isnt a big deal unless you REALLY suck after a long time doing this. Being in the center ...
    Pianissimo User

Re: Mouthpiece placement

Lip Placement isnt a big deal unless you REALLY suck after a long time doing this.
    Being in the center is kinda rare.
    Im a bit off to the right myself.
    If you are sounding ok with this dont worry about it.

Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by Markie View Post
    If you think its a potential problem then its a problem, right?
    Here's what I recommend:
    Purse your lips as if you are blowing out a candle. Nothing fancy, just a typical blowing out of a candle. Now blow.
    Next, do the same thing and put the trumpet to the lips.
    That's your embrochure.
    Remember, only use enough mouthpiece pressure to create a seal with the lips.
    You might want to read Mouthpiece Pressure Assessment.
    Hope this helps.
    Listen to this advice VERY carefully! I have started doing this the past two weeks and it has really saved me. My teacher has noticed a difference since I started getting this image in my mind before placing the horn. It has made things so much easier. Thanks, Markie.

Mezzo Forte User
    Darlington S.C.

Hello WarrenG. Study the lip types to rim size charts on the Stork Mouthpiece internet site. This will help you get into the over all best rim size. Your teeth formation will have a bearing also.

The first simple exercise in the Carmine Caruso Method book, repeated over and over till lips tire. Rest and them move on to the rest of your playing. Do this everytime before practicing and this should help you find your best over all lip placement.

Read his book very carefully and proceed very slowly. Mr Carmine Caruso's method book is his method of correcting, fixing, or restrengthing a embouchure etc.

You can buy that method book from the music book internet site at;Sheet Music Plus - World's Largest Selection of Sheet Music .

New York State USA

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenG View Post
    Hi all

I've got a bit of a problem, and its going to be a bigger problem since I don't have a tutor.
    Am I headed for disaster here?

If its goign to hamper me in the future then I'd best move my mouthpiece into the "right" position and suffer now right?

Any thoughts?

Warren -- here is a good article on lip position
    The New Asymmetric Trumpet Mouthpiece

in my opinion -- I played to the side of my mouth for most of high school -- but with that was limitations on range (A above the staff was the limit), and soon an apparent sound quality issue developed. The center of the lips is the lip tissue that vibrates most freely.
    I changed to the center of my lips --- YES it was dreadfully hard - to go from playing somewhat OK, to "learning over" and sucking for a year or so.

so I would seriously decide on what level you want to play at -- if you want personal enjoyment, a community band -- then play where it feels most comfortable.
    However - if you think in the future -- you might want to get the MOST out of the trumpet -- that YOU can get -- then seriously contemplate on moving to the center of the lips.

((of course that is merely my opinion))

Greensboro, NC

Only a good teacher can tell you if your mouthpiece placement is a problem. The chart you put up looks a lot like my setup but I would really need to see you to tell how closely you match the chart. If you wait until you start having problems you will have been doing it wrong a long time. It's better to get it right from the begining.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

Forte User
    Near Portland, OR.

Markie is right on. Thinking about embouchure or lips gets confusing and paralyzing. What matters is air. Establish a really good, ample, generous airflow. Close your lips around it with the least possible effort. I know I'm just a beginner compared to most here but that seems to be all there is to it. My 2 cents.

Selmer Radial, Bb.
    Yamaha YTR4420E, C.
    1930 Couesnon cornet

A mind that masters the breath
    Creates strength (Lao-Tzu).

New Friend

I too, was told years ago that my off centered mouthpiece placement was hindering my performance. I finally worked on centering my embouchre. It took about a year before my sound returned. One of the many challenges was the lack of confidence in playing with my two main mouthpieces Bach 3C and Schilke 14a4a. The Schilke mouthpiece became way too shallow with my lips literally bottoming out. It has been a struggle finding the right mouthpiece.
    Last edited by sclinan; 12-29-2010 at 09:21 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information