Trumpet Discussion Discuss Mouthpieces and Moustaches in the General forums; I know this will vary based on the size of your lips, but I have a question. I have a ...
    New Friend

Mouthpieces and Moustaches

I know this will vary based on the size of your lips, but I have a question.

I have a full goatee, upper and lower lip completely. Has anyone, who has a goat, noticed that a particular type rim makes a difference in attack, intonation, or tone?

I'm not necessarily dissatisfied with my sound, but I am always looking for ways to improve it. I am one of those players that isn't satisfied until I hear a sound that is so "liquid", best way to describe what is in my head, coming out of my horn. When I say liquid, I mean it is like the metal of the horn is being projected in a liquid state, but in the form of sound.

I'm not trying to be one of those, "Oh, it's my mouthpiece and not me" idiots, but I have always wondered if facial hair has much of an impact. I have had facial hair for so long, I honestly don't remember what it's like to play without it.

Any thoughts would be great!! If you want to specify what lip type you have, that could prove to be helpful too.

The universal language that speaks to the souls of

Piano User
    I've had a goat without moustache but with a soul patch for about three years now and it hasn't affected my playing. Last year I grew a moustache and didn't notice a difference with regards to my mouthpiece. I only shaved the moustache because of my girlfriend.

Pianissimo User
    There are variables that you must look at such as:
    How long is the hair?
    How thick is the moustache?
    Is it trimmed neatly or not?
    Lip structure
    Mpc placement

All these and more variables will determine if having a moustache affects your playing. For me it doesn't because my mpc placement is fairly low. For this trombonist I know it reallyt affects his playing because he has a thick moustache and high mpc placement. It really all depends on the player.

Check Out my Forum

Yamaha Xeno RGS
    Yamaha 2320
    Parduba Double-Cup #6

Pianissimo User
    FWIW, I can't play worth a poop when I have facial hair...i have no idea why.

Thread Information