Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Moving A Trumpet Company in the General forums; Whatever you do, you do not want to raise a family in a Southern city. I can't speak for all ...
    Piano User
    Whatever you do, you do not want to raise a family in a Southern city. I can't speak for all of them, but I know that Jackson, Mississippi is just full of crime. My brother lives down there and plays in the Mississippi Symphony. His house was broken into the following way- a tractor trailer was backed into the house, through a wall, and EVERYTHING was stolen. He moved to a better part of town, and as luck would have it, it happened AGAIN.
    Crime is definitely something to consider. Perhaps live in a rural area, and commute to the factory in the 'burbs? Gas ('petrol') is a LOT cheaper over here.

Fortissimo User
    Leigh, you wound me unto the quick. You KNOW that Canada is the place to move to. We have accomodating, low cost and efficient shipping services (NOT), a low and highly simplified tax rate (NOT), cheaper gas than the U.S. (NOT), and a highly concentrated population of trumpet players (NOT). See? it's perfect... be just like living at home in England! Our currency is stable (well, relative to SOME other places). There's lots of land for sale cheap (this much is true anyway), more lakes and streams for fly fishing (and they even have fish in them). We spell most of our words the same way you do so unless you moved to Quebec you wouldn't have to learn a foreign language (you wouldn't even have to change the spell checker on your computer!) You can get health care for less than the several hundred bucks per month that it costs in the US (so far... but our Canadian national and provincial governments are working at levelling THAT playing field). And.... you don't need a Green Card!!

Why, I can even recommend a couple of locations where you can have black bears and grizzlies running through your backyard... try THAT on the East Coast!

Uh... what's that you say? You don't like bears? You mean I blew it? DANG!!!

Go to Chicago... Wayne Tanabe could use the competition. Big lake right next door and the entire state of Wisconsin handy for getting into the woods, one of the busiest airports in the world and centrally located. (and not more than a two day drive from here).

Piano User
    Quote Originally Posted by trpguyy
    Whatever you do, you do not want to raise a family in a Southern city. I can't speak for all of them, but I know that Jackson, Mississippi is just full of crime.
    That is a gross generalization about Southern cities.
    --Matt--

Piano User
    Quote Originally Posted by uatrmpt
    Whatever you do, you do not want to raise a family in a Southern city. I can't speak for all of them, but I know that Jackson, Mississippi is just full of crime.
    Generalizations would not exist if there were not some truth in them.
    All I meant is that cities in the South aren't the ideal location for raising a family.
    You're telling me that you would entrust your children to any random city in the South? I didn't think so.
    And anyway, I said that I couldn't speak for every city.
    Furthermore, this thread isn't about Southern cities.

Personally, I think that your best bet would be a tossup between New York and Washington DC. Here's why:

In either city, you are going to have flocks of high caliber horn players that are going to be looking for a "next level" horn. Here in DC, you have two major orchestras (the National Symphony and the Baltimore Symphony) but you also have all 5 of the premier military bands, but you also have an area that is lush with culture - translation: the people out here love music and are willing to pay to go hear it. That in turn translates into more musicians that are playing music.

Between the two, New York is probably better if you are looking at it strictly from a customer base viewpoint. The unfortunate aspect of New York is the exhorbitant cost of living (speaking specifically of NYC) although it's getting pretty bad out here too. New York would also probably be better because although you would be central to New York, you could develop a customer base both North (Boston) and South (Baltimore, Washington DC) for hundreds of miles. If you were to base out of DC, your customer base outside of DC would mostly be from the North.

Of course, there are people that drive or fly hundreds, even thousands of miles for that sort of thing, so that may not be as big of an issue as one might think.

As far as a West Coast vs East Coast sort of thing is concerned, I think that you would have less competition out here on the East Coast.

Yeah, as much as I would like the idea of having your close to DC, I think that between the two places, NYC is the better option.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Mezzo Piano User
    You guys are all naming states with income taxes, why not move to Florida or Texas where there's little or no income tax (in Florida the degree of taxation will depend on the business structure). NY will tax you every time you turn around. California's income tax gets up to 11% really fast. Cost of help in NY or CA is through the roof. Also, rents and real estate costs are high.

I don't think a builder/repair person has to be in a major city. FedEx is so good that you can do business anywhere. Calicchio is in Tulsa, Lawler is in Florida, Blackburn is in Atlantic Coast region.

Leigh, what'd you think of Denver on your visit? Colorado has an income tax, but it's very business friendly with a good airport and local services. I'd love to be able to drop by your shop in either Denver, Dallas or Florida (the places I haunt). I'm loving Denver a lot after two months here.

Dave
    Schilke '60 B1
    Selmer Paris -- '57 #20 K-Modified/
    '03 Concept TT w/ GR66.8B2.8
    '94 Lawler TL cornet w/ Sparx 2B
    Conn Vintage One flugel - GR66FD
    www.pitpops.com www.ucm-inc.com
    Rocky Mountain Trumpet Fest

Mezzo Piano User
    Let me see......Where is the largest population of trumpet players in the US? Where are there so many universities with great trumpet players that will one day be professional trumpet players? Where are there more than a few symphonies and musical groups? Where is the cost of living reasonable and the weather great? Texas is the answer. Not to mention, New Orleans is just a few hours away.
    Mike
    Eclipse MHY Bell
    1949 Olds Ambassador

Listening has nothing to do with moving your mouth!

Piano User
    Generalizations would not exist if there were not some truth in them.
    All I meant is that cities in the South aren't the ideal location for raising a family.
    You're telling me that you would entrust your children to any random city in the South? I didn't think so.
    And anyway, I said that I couldn't speak for every city.
    Furthermore, this thread isn't about Southern cities.
    Yes, I would trust my children to any Southern city (excluding Florida, because that's not really "southern"), because one incident is not indicative of all Southern cities.
    --Matt--

Piano User
    Quote Originally Posted by dcstep
    You guys are all naming states with income taxes, why not move to Florida or Texas where there's little or no income tax (in Florida the degree of taxation will depend on the business structure). NY will tax you every time you turn around. California's income tax gets up to 11% really fast. Cost of help in NY or CA is through the roof. Also, rents and real estate costs are high.
    Perfect reason to pick Alabama. While there is a state income tax, the property taxes are low enough to make up for the difference. If the quality of the school system is a concern, you can pick your poison when picking where to live. Higher property taxes = better schools. (sometimes)
    --Matt--

Mezzo Piano User

Yes, I would trust my children to any Southern city (excluding Florida, because that's not really "southern").
    Well, being a native Floridian, I resemble that remark.

All but the "gold coast" of Florida (from Boca to Miami) is still "Southern". Jacksonville, where I grew up, is as rednecked as you can get. Speaking of poor public schools, Jacksonville is pretty bad, but the private schools are excellent.

Which brings up an excellent point, almost everywhere in the USA you need to consider the variability of the local school systems. In Denver, the Denver School District is pretty sad, but just a few miles away, Cherry Creek Schools are excellent. In Dallas, the Dallas Independent School District is subpar, but within the Dallas city limits, the Richardson Independent School District schools are exceptionally good.

Let's not get into a North and South thing. There are excellent communities all over the USA.

Dave
    Schilke '60 B1
    Selmer Paris -- '57 #20 K-Modified/
    '03 Concept TT w/ GR66.8B2.8
    '94 Lawler TL cornet w/ Sparx 2B
    Conn Vintage One flugel - GR66FD
    www.pitpops.com www.ucm-inc.com
    Rocky Mountain Trumpet Fest

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information