Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Moving A Trumpet Company in the General forums; Leigh - try and rent a unit next to Dave Monette, and steal his customers! ps. I'd like to lodge ...
    Leigh - try and rent a unit next to Dave Monette, and steal his customers!

ps. I'd like to lodge my official complaint - I'm planning on buying one of your horns one of these days, and I don't want to have to go all the way to the USA to collect it! It was sort of sunny in London today, move here!

Try Canada - July 1 is Canada Day

Leigh, while I have a pile of respect for Tootsall, he is a Westerner(Canadian that is).

Try Toronto!!
    - Easy to fly to almost every location in the US, Canada and Europe
    - the Canadian $ might make it a great advantage?
    - might even be some government incentive?
    - Pretty good climate, not London (thank God) or the Southern US (again, thank God)
    - easy to get to New York, Chicago, LA, Seattle, Dallas ...
    - lots of great professional trumpet players (Chase Sanborn, Hannaford Street Silver Band, U of Toronto, U of Western Ontario, Eastman School, etc)
    - we speak REAL English, not that US dialect.

Lots of very nice people and a great place to raise kids!
    Bill

Olds Ambassador, Special, Super, Recording, Mendez, Custom Bb & C trumpets/GR Butcher 65.6M
    Olds Opera & Ambassador A6 Shepherds Crook cornets/Sparx 4B
    Olds L-12 Flugelhorn, GR/Melk Leadpipe, GR Butcher 65.6FL

Fortissimo User
    Comment on the debate about South vs North...... "All generalisations are dangerous". (end comment).

Bill, the problem with Toronto is.... it's in Ontario. Alberta has no povincial sales tax and will shortly be out of it's deficit (thank you, OPEC) so we expect provincial income taxes to drop also.

When are you coming back?

EDIT: HEY! Let's create a poll and we'll all vote! :)

Forte User
    trptguy,

There are plenty of good places in the south to raise children and I have known many musicians that could have very easily gone else where to have better careers but decided to stay in the south to raise their kids.

I have lived all over Georgia, parts of South Carolina and with in 10 miles of Florida. The towns and cities you are insulting with your gross ignorance are the ones my family and dearest friends are from. Most people I know in the south are people of high character and show true devotion to friends and family. The people I know here are among the hardest working and most honest people I know. I would not just trust the south to raise my children, I would insist upon it.

Piano User
    I'd vote for Boise, Idaho. It's a booming western hub with an excellent music school and the housing is reasonable with three and four bedroom
    homes going for $100,000 to $180,000 dollars. It has a large airport and also rail service. You would be four hours from Salt Lake City, about 6 hours to Spokane.You could shop in Oregon, just twenty minutes away that has NO state sales tax. The winters are cool but not terrible cold, not much snow. Summers are warm with little rain. You'd also be about six hours from Reno (very good music program) and about eight hours from Denver.

My two cents worth! :)
    Gabriel is NOT a woodwind player!

One thing i have learnt from my travels is that there are good and bad things everywhere! NORTH,SOUTH,EAST AND WEST.

Like i said it is a thought at the moment and by no means set in stone at all.
    Many things are involved as you know, moving town a pain! moving county a bigger pain! moving country a nightmare.

However the life in the states has always interested me and the Americans do seem to have a slightly easier time when running smaller companies (i know it varies from state to state).
    Plus the American lifestyle seems a little easier going, and they do have one huge country to explore until i am sent to make trumpets in the sky.

Dont get me wrong i love the UK and the people here.

But here in the UK we have hardly any small business left as the UKers on here will echo, this is because the government no longer cares about growing new industry and nurchering it, it only cares about the large multi-nationals that most of the MP,S in our Parliament happen to be Directors of!

It does get a little annoying when you work your a$$ off only to get your profit taken away from you at the end of the year by the tax man.

Basically it comes down to the fact that you are not allowed to make a profit, so you may aswell go work for someone else so they can have that headache.
    Sorry i'm ranting

Anyhow for the UK guys, dont worry ill be here for a long enough time for you to get horns , maybe be here forever ! who knows???

Regards

Leigh
    Eclipse Trumpets

Eclipsetrumpets.com

Hawaii

Forte User
    this might be good stuff to look over:

http://www.expatforum.com/Resources/icol.htm

http://nd.placementmanual.com/workplace/

Leigh are you worried about being close to other custom trumpet makers here? if so that might limit your choices. I would suggest the south east, between DC and Atlanta.

Mezzo Piano User
    Wow. That Cost Of Living index is an eye-opener.

Dave
    Schilke '60 B1
    Selmer Paris -- '57 #20 K-Modified/
    '03 Concept TT w/ GR66.8B2.8
    '94 Lawler TL cornet w/ Sparx 2B
    Conn Vintage One flugel - GR66FD
    www.pitpops.com www.ucm-inc.com
    Rocky Mountain Trumpet Fest

londonhusker
    deleted
    Last edited by londonhusker; 03-31-2007 at 08:39 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information