Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 72
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Moving A Trumpet Company in the General forums; Originally Posted by dizforprez Originally Posted by trpguyy I don't remember ever saying that South=bad. In fact, I know for ...
  1. #41
    Piano User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by dizforprez
    Quote Originally Posted by trpguyy
    I don't remember ever saying that South=bad. In fact, I know for a fact that I never did. However, the South's public education leaves much to be desired

    Again, you have no idea of what you are talking about.
    OK, I'll make a list of states that I have visited and researched when I was looking for a place to finally settle. I am not being careful to not offend you. I don't know where you got the impression that I was saying anything negative about the people who live in the South. I never said anything that even closely resembles that.
    If what I say strikes a nerve with you, then (1) what I said is probably true, (2) it's not your fault, and (3) you can do something about it. Contact your state representatives. It's not secret that as a whole, Southern schools are underfunded. It really is not your fault.

    These are the states with less-than-desireable eductation systems, IMO.
    Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennesse, North and South Carolina. There are many Northern states with poor education systems, too.

    If you live in these states, I hold absolutely nothing against you. If you've only ever gone to a public school in one of these states, I better not hear you contradict me. I've been there, I know how it is. I'll say it again, not ALL schools are poor or undefunded. But as a whole this is, sadly, the case.

    There are only 2 states that have state graduation standards which everyone must fulfill. They include a having a certain number of course sequences, and passing pretty rigorous standardized tests in numerous subjects (in NY, the tests are in Global History [a 2 year course], US History, 4 math tests [1 for each course], foreign language [after 3 years], 4 science tests [1 for each course], and a few others, depending on what classes you choose to take). Not ALL of these are required for graduation with a "Regents Diploma" (better than the school's local diploma). It depends on what sequences are chosen. However, a certain number are required for even the local diploma. I don't know how it's done in California, but I do know that CA and NY are the only two states with state testing requirements. They also have high taxes. Seeing a pattern yet?

    Out of respect for Leigh, if you feel like carrying this further, start another thread or PM me. I will provide you with more than enough facts to rest my case.

    Once again, this thread is not about north vs. south. That was 140 years ago. I will not let you guys make me look responsible for hijacking this thread.

  2. #42
    Fortissimo User gzent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    3,725
    Quote Originally Posted by trpguyy
    There are only 2 states that have graduation standards which everyone must fulfill.
    That's not true, both Minnesota and Texas have mandatory testing and I'm sure there are many others.

    If you use graduation rates, SAT/ACT scores and spending per student as criteria then you are correct, the southern states, on average do the worst and the midwest states do the best. The census beareau has these stats available online.

    Greg
    Stop acting like someone shot your dog.

  3. #43
    Mezzo Piano User Clarino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sheffield, England, UK
    Posts
    631
    Leigh, I though I had made this clear! You are NOT to move the business out of the country until you have made me a complete family of horns! In the mean time, you can move down here to be in the sunshine. I can just see it on the bell of the instrument,
    Eclipse Trumpets
    First Class Brass
    BOGNOR


    On the plus side, you'll only be a stonesthrow from Portsmouth, with the Royal Marines Band, so you can set up an arrangement to make all the instuments they need! Being a government (MOD) organisation you wouldn't have to worry about all these broke musicians taking your instruments, then not being able to pay! :)

  4. #44
    Piano User
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    375
    i have to agree with gzent.
    don't think I've ever been to rochester, but it's close enough from where I live

  5. #45
    Forte User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,097
    First of all drop the attitude of superiority. And that whole “it is not your fault” where do you get off talking to me like that? Stop being so self-righteous and condescending, you certainly have no reason to have that attitude.


    The point here is that you are making gross generalizations about an entire population and turning them into a singular paradigm based the fact that someone you know was robbed twice in the south.

    Highly offensive.

  6. #46
    Piano User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    281
    My "attitude" is your twisted spin on what I'm saying.
    I say, no matter the state, if education is underfunded, it's the legislators' fault, not the people who live there. You don't like me saying that?
    It's obvious that you didn't read what I took time to wrote. I am not basing my opinion on the misfortunes of others. I am basing it on FACTS (obviously a foreign concept to you). I have lived there long enough to know that I don't want to. I have researched the schools, the legistlation, the legislators, etc. I had the option to choose where to live based on nothing more than the area. I knew I could find work no matter where I was. I chose the best place for me. If you've never been here, you can't tell me that it's inferior to wherever you're from. I've been down there and I can tell you, it is very sad indeed.
    Finally, I never once said a thing about people. I said there's crime and there are broke schools. Show me where I said anything about a "population of people."

    PM me or start a new thread if you wish to continue.

  7. #47
    Forte User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,097
    I am not starting a new thread nor will I PM you, if you continue to put your ignorant beliefs and generalizations in this thread I will answer them here. Also, take time to get your facts straight and know what you are talking about and I will take more time to read your post.

    What you have said thus far is devoid of fact and generalizes a whole people, therefore are you talking about a “population of people”.

    don’t be upset when some one calls you on your BS.

  8. #48
    Mezzo Piano User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by trpguyy
    My "attitude" is your twisted spin on what I'm saying.
    Well, I read your posts here as having a "superior", "snob" feel to them. They come across as condescending, no matter what your intent. You've made several factual misstatements, yet you seem to insist that you're an "authority" in these matters. At least that’s the way you’re coming across. If you like where you live, well good for you, but there's no need to stand up on a table an p**s on the rest of us.

    BTW, the "people" elect the legislation, so calling the legislators inept is no different from saying the same thing about the "people."

    Dave
    (personally acquainted with National Merit Scholars from Florida, Okalahoma and Texas -- and probably many more Southerners that I'm not aware of).
    Schilke '60 B1
    Selmer Paris -- '57 #20 K-Modified/
    '03 Concept TT w/ GR66.8B2.8
    '94 Lawler TL cornet w/ Sparx 2B
    Conn Vintage One flugel - GR66FD
    www.pitpops.com www.ucm-inc.com
    Rocky Mountain Trumpet Fest

  9. #49

  10. #50
    Fortissimo User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Yee HAW!
    Posts
    4,529
    "Amen" to that, Dave. Starting to look like one of those religion vs politics arguments. Nobody wins, everyone looks foolish when it's done.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26