Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Moving A Trumpet Company in the General forums; I have to agree with Stomvi. If you're going to do it, do it right. If weather, close to major ...
    New Friend

Where to relocate Eclipse

I have to agree with Stomvi. If you're going to do it, do it right. If weather, close to major city, close to coast line and/or major lake, quality of life are the goals San Diego area or Reno/Tahoe area are my 2 choices. Maybe Santa Barbara.

Locate the factory and warehouse in Reno, Nevada. No state income taxes, low cost of real estate and cost of living. Cheap labor. Major airport. 1 to 1.5 hour flight to SF, LA, San Diego, Salt Lake City. 4 hour drive to San Fran, Napa or 4.5 to Monterey peninsula.

Live in or have weekend home in Incline Village at Lake Tahoe or thereabouts and commute down the mountain to Reno. High Desert climate, 350 days of sun (crystal clear) cool, dry. 35-45* in winter and tons of great snow skiing. 65-80* (at the lake) in summer (45 at night), not a cloud in the sky, almost never rains!

In this day and age and with your product, where the factory is should be relatively inconsequential and be based on a trade-off between your lifestyle/quality of life, and the relative costs to the business (labor, real estate, etc.) Where the trumpet players are should not matter much. All of the golf equipment manufacturers are in and around San Diego. Do they have trouble selling custom clubs in NY. I don't think so.

If you are willing to spend $5000 on a custom built trumpet you are likely to be willing to fly a few hours to the factory if you need to. You can always have a satelite office/warehouse in the NY area. NY, Boston, Washington are all big cultural/trumpet centers but they are also all within a 1.5 hours flight, 4-5 hour drive or train of each other. Anybody in those areas should be able to make that trip to your warehouse if they're gonna spend $5 grand.

If I were Bruce, I'd have a store in the NY area. He can sell the product for you.

PS: for all of you selling the weather in your various areas including the northeast. I know weather is all relative, especially versus the UK, but let's face it. The northeastern weather SUCKS. you get about 5 "Tahoe Days" a year and about 5 "San Diego Days" a year. The rest are hot, sticky, humid, raining, miserably, freezing, snowing. How often do you hear someone in San Diego or Tahoe say "what a beautiful day". Almost never, why? Because they're ALL beautiful. They don't even have weathermen in those towns!

As for Texas, Alabama, Florida. Come on guys. Don't sell him that weather! Face it, there are very few places in the continental US that can boast great weather and the location that he is seeking:

"Close enough to a major city (for customer purposes)
    Nice area to live that isnt over the top on house and workshop prices
    Lots of trumpet players wouldnt hurt of course!
    Within 4 or 5 hours drive of the sea or nice big lakes could be good too."

PPS: If you relocate to SD, Tahoe/Reno/ or Santa Barbara. Let me know. I'll invest in the comany, and work for you in some capacity. 8)
    Ray
    "It is what it is."
    Psalm 37:4/Proverbs 3:5-6/1 Corinthians 2:14
    (Bb) Bach Strad 37 ML
    (C) Bach Strad 229 L 25H leadpipe
    Schilke 10A4a
    Bach 2C

Mezzo Piano User

Re: Where to relocate Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by tptwannabe
    Face it, there are very few places in the continental US that can boast great weather and the location that he is seeking:

"Close enough to a major city (for customer purposes)
    Nice area to live that isnt over the top on house and workshop prices
    Denver
    Schilke '60 B1
    Selmer Paris -- '57 #20 K-Modified/
    '03 Concept TT w/ GR66.8B2.8
    '94 Lawler TL cornet w/ Sparx 2B
    Conn Vintage One flugel - GR66FD
    www.pitpops.com www.ucm-inc.com
    Rocky Mountain Trumpet Fest

New Friend

Very Few

I did say very few though didn't I? Major lake or water though ? I tend to think in terms of the Great Lakes, Tahoe, etc. And what would be the major city nearby? Just kidding...

I'm definitely not an expert to the Denver area. Only been there twice. But it was not one of my favorite environments. Seemed pretty flat, and unexciting visually. Different strokes...

Definitely beats NYC and the east coast though. :wink:
    Ray
    "It is what it is."
    (Bb) Bach Strad 37 ML
    Schilke 10A4a
    Bach 2C

New Friend

BTW

The PitPops and DCJB look like some awesome fun and worship! Sounds like you got a pretty cool situation worked out between music, locations, etc.

I'd like to get a similar set up some day.
    Ray
    "It is what it is."
    (Bb) Bach Strad 37 ML
    Schilke 10A4a
    Bach 2C

Mezzo Piano User
    Ray, sadly I had to withdraw from DCJB last weekend. With the commuting between Denver and Dallas I can't keep two bands going and stay married. On the upside, before I even moved into my Denver digs, I met a great tenor sax player that's the music director at a church near my new home. We'll be getting together, probably as early as next week. Anyway, music has brought a lot of joy and I hope you'll be able to make some connections as rewarding as mine have been.

Denver flat??? I have my morning coffee looking at the Rockies. From 11th-floor office I can see Pykes Peak on the clear days. The foothills are ten minutes away and "the slopes" are an hour. Yet, in the winter the snow levels are manageable and the sun shines after every front moves through.

As for lakes, I haven't found one on a Texas or Florida scale yet. (I grew up on the St. John's River -- literally-- and spent many days surfing in the Gulf Stream warmed Atlantic, so I'm spoiled in that respect). I drove by Grand Lake a couple of weeks ago, but it seemed to be at about 30% of capacity, thanks to three-years of drought. The drought seems to have broken, BUT it'll be two or three years before that lake recovers.

When I worked in Upland, CA we plotted to move the company to Tahoe, for tax, personnel cost and life-style reasons. The trouble with the West Coast waters is that you typically need a wet suit to enjoy them. I can't take the heat, but no one has mentioned Vegas and/or Phoenix have they? Both are very pro-business, but you must consider the heat and the long-term implications of water supply.

Where ever Leigh might land, I hope to go see him when he's building my next flugel.

Dave
    Schilke '60 B1
    Selmer Paris -- '57 #20 K-Modified/
    '03 Concept TT w/ GR66.8B2.8
    '94 Lawler TL cornet w/ Sparx 2B
    Conn Vintage One flugel - GR66FD
    www.pitpops.com www.ucm-inc.com
    Rocky Mountain Trumpet Fest

Mezzo Piano User
    San Antonio, Texas is the place. It has all the qualities everyone has mentioned and the city is growing. Not to mention, Austin has a great music scene and it is just up the highway.
    Mike
    Eclipse MHY Bell
    1949 Olds Ambassador

Listening has nothing to do with moving your mouth!

Piano User
    Ray,
    Reno won't work---it's too expensive. You can't find a house under $300,000. Commercial property, to build, is close to $200 a square foot. But, except for expense it's a great place! For some reason we have lots of top notch musicians living and working around here!

Bill
    Gabriel is NOT a woodwind player!

Pianissimo User
    Hello Leigh, John, Noel, and the rest of the gang,

I would strongly encourage you to consider Southeastern Wisconsin as a destination for the future location of Eclipse Trumpets and First Class Brass. More specifically, I would suggest Walworth County. The small, rural town of Elkhorn (Getzen) is located in Walworth County.

1) Even though Bauerfine valves are superb, this would allow you to purchase valve assemblies from Getzen, as does Monette, Lawler, etc.

2) Elkhorn is approximately one-hour from Chicago's O'Hare Airport.

3) Elkhorn is approximately 45-minutes from Milwaukee (abundant shopping, anything you could need beyod the essentials).

4) Wisconsin still has a strong work ethic. As the company grows, decent and trainable people are available.

5) Walworth County is growing, but...real estate prices have not exploded. Bargains are still available. Also, it is a very safe area to raise a family.

6) This is where I grew up. I could provide you with free tours, logistics, etc.

7) My neighbor works for the largest real estate company in Southeastern Wisconsin. I could provide helpful contacts...to determine what's available.

Let me know if I can help. :wink: All the best.
    PAUL NELSON - Eclipse White Lightning / Getzen Eterna 900 Classic

Leigh,
    Hands down, your best bet is Phoenix, Az. 300+ bright, cloudless days of fun in the "Valley of the Sun" every year. Reasonable cost of living, proximity to the west coast and Baja California, great food, beautiful women... the list goes on. I'll also trade you rent free living at my place in exchange for a couple of new Eclipses.

Best Wishes,
    Dan
    Why are we so obsessed with bore size? Are we trying to compensate for something?

Moving a Trumpet Company

Nashville, Tennessee. Tennessee has one of the lowest tax rates in the nation. It is almost surrounded by large lakes and is not far at all from 4 or 5 more large TVA lakes. Gulf Shores, Alabama is not a band drive when you want to get to the beach. Lots of trumpet players living in the area and more passing through "Music City, USA". The cost of living is low.
    "Music is a fire in your belly that has to come out of your mouth, so you'd better put a horn in the way before someone gets hurt"
    1949/50 Super Recording
    1949 Martin Committee
    1947 Olds Super
    Olds Super/Ultrasonic trumpet
    Olds Recording trumpet
    Olds Mendez
    Olds L-12
    Conn 40B
    Eclipse MR scratch gold
    Bach 37
    Scherzer Picc
    Buescher Mdl 15 Cornet in Bb/C/A (Dad's old horn)
    Boston 3 Star Ne Plus Ultra
    Natural trumpet hand made by my friend Howard Scudder

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread Information