Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Which mp for long tones? in the General forums; Originally Posted by The Weez I typically do my long tone exercises with my "standard" mp (Flip Oakes 3-O, similar ...
    Banned Mezzo Piano User

Re: Which mp for long tones?

Quote Originally Posted by The Weez View Post
    I typically do my long tone exercises with my "standard" mp (Flip Oakes 3-O, similar to a Bach 3C). I have a gig coming up that will require a lead piece and I got to wondering about this.

Is there any benefit to doing long tones with one mp over the other? Or is it more beneficial to rotate through the pieces that you use regularly?

I like this post. An honest one. My feeling is that there are a fair amount of trumpet players who (like myself) use several mouthpieces and are never certain which one makes the best practice room choice. I've only recently nailed down the best decision for myself.

While I'm generally at the very shallow end of the mouthpiece pool I've taken to using my largest mouthpiece for most practice. Avoidance of over training is my most important concern. I'd rather be slightly out of shape than be over trained.

So I just run through an easy warm up on my largest m/piece. Then all my harmonic minor scales, some middle register flexibility studies and a few ballads. I do this two to three times a week. All the other days I'm peeling paint above High C on a shallow mouthpiece.

And it works well. Had I spent a lot of time practicing on the shallow pieces? Would have felt cramped. No time for the chops to relax and find their groove. By not being over trained the shallow pieces can work their magic. And I'm still confident enough on my large piece to use it on the fly for those occasional "legit" tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Weez View Post
    Rowuk, i really only use the term "lead piece" because it's more shallow than my usual piece. I believe that's the only difference. I use it for lead or anything else where I need a brighter sound, that's all. Since 90% of my work is in a church praise band I typically don't need anything beyond a C cup, so I don't play on my "lead piece" often.

A more accurate statement would have been, "I have a gig that requires a bright sizzling sound and I'll be using a more shallow mouthpiece than I normally play at my regular gig."
    Some things we just need to learn ourselves. I can switch mouthpieces at any time and it does not affect my playing. I practice with everything that I use and have several hours a day to fit it all in. There is no answer to your question, just conjecture until you make the investment.

I get the impression that many believe that there is a best way to practice/play, that there is a scientifically proven embouchure or type of breathing. The truth is that there isn't. We get good by LEARNING, not practicing. When we integrate mind, body and soul, magic happens! It isn't face time, it is a wide awake, intense time with our horn. Our bodies scream the results and answers. Most never listen.

When I have lead gigs, I practice that way. When I have symphonic gigs, I practice that way. When everything is mixed up, I just practice more. Style and attitude are my solutions not hardware or crutches.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

To the OP I would say that you should practice on whatever mouthpiece you are going to be using most - that includes long tones. I gig almost exclusively on a Schilke 14A4 mouthpiece, so that's the mouthpiece I practice on. However, on the occasions where I have a gig coming up where I know in advance I'm not going to want that lead sound, I switch to a straight Schilke 14 and I practice on that, including long tones. I mean, why would you practice long tones on a mouthpiece other than the one you are going to use for a gig? My chops have always been very sensitive to that - I can get by using anything in my small collection of mouthpieces, but ultimately I want my chops to be comfortable and familiar with the mouthpiece on the gig. That lends itself to better sound, greater accuracy, better endurance, (won't be fighting the piece, but rather working with it) etc.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Forte User
    Indiana USA

I was under the impression that long tones to build tone didn't require a special mouthpiece. I've always played long tones during warm-up exercises. Maybe I am missing the boat here?

Best wishes,

Dayton, Ohio

I am confused by the concept of needing a different mouthpiece for long tones. I use the same mouthpiece to make my trumpet sizzle in the high range, as I do to play dark tones in the low range. So my lead piece is my long tone piece, is my mid-range piece. Peace!
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

I play the trumpet, not the mouthpiece. I do use different mouthpieces on various trumpets; use my "normal" set-up for my routine, but I warm up for a concert using the mouthpiece and horn I'll be using. I don't warm up for a Bach cantata with a "B" cupped mouthpiece in my piccolo!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information