Trumpet Discussion Discuss Muet does not fit in the General forums; Hi just got myself a Taylor trumpet and my Jo-Ral cup mute is now too small is it as simple ...
    Pianissimo User
    Rochdale UK

Mute does not fit

Hi just got myself a Taylor trumpet and my Jo-Ral cup mute is now too small is it as simple as adding new corks on top of the original ones or do
    you remove cork and fit extra thick ones or is there something else.
    Last edited by alant; 08-09-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Northern California

Re: Muet does not fit

I've never had much luck adding cork atop cork. What I have had success doing is using extra thick double-sided tape to re-attach the standard cork, but using thicker cork is better. However that may also be an unsatisfactory answer since thicker cork will likely change the timbre. If possible you may want to change the position of the corks to achieve a satisfactory fit and not negatively effect the timbre.
    Last edited by amzi; 08-09-2013 at 03:47 PM.
    Recording Olds Trumpet (64)
    Bb MLV Strad (69) ML 37 Strad (71) C ML Strad 236 (65)
    Couesnon Flugelhorn
    Bach Strad Bass Trumpet
    Holton T171 Alto Trumpet
    Kanstul 920 Piccolo Trumpet
    Yamaha 6610S Eb/D Trumpet

Forte User

Re: Muet does not fit

I think that replacement corks may be a bit thicker than original to facilitate adjustment. If so, you could be OK just replacing the corks. Here are a couple of sources: Jo-Ral Trumpet Mute Corks | Musician's Friend and Alessi-Vacchiano Trumpet/Cornet Mute Cork | WWBW . I think that the Alessi-Vacchiano corks are priced individually, and if you need to double up on them, these would be the ones to try. Test-fit three of them on your mute by using simple double-sided tape for stationery (not the sticky stuff). If they fit, remove the tape, judiciously clean the mating cork and mute surfaces with a small amount of lacquer thinner, and glue them on with an appropriate amount of Titebond wood glue. Otherwise, if they're still too thin, glue them on and allow ample time for the glue to dry. Then sand them down to maybe 1/2 to 2/3 thickness before gluing the second set on top, so you don't run the risk of sanding into the glue itself that holds the second set on when you adjust the corks. Adjust as necessary. However, if you don't have natural mechanical ability/sympathy/judgment, leave this project to someone else who does; like a tech, for instance. Just because something is simple doesn't mean it's easy.
    Olds Studio trumpet
    Olds Special trumpet
    Yamaha YFH-731 flugelhorn
    Dillon Bb pocket trumpet
    Selmer Bundy tenor trombone
    Casio CTK-518 keyboard
    "If it was just up to me, I'd have nothing but trumpet players on my show." - Jackie Gleason

Thread Information