Trumpet Discussion Discuss Music Educators in the General forums; I'm sitting at my computer in school wondering how many TM members are, or were, full time music educators like ...
    Piano User
    New Jersey

Music Educators

I'm sitting at my computer in school wondering how many TM members are, or were, full time music educators like me. How many of us have shared the ups and downs of being music teachers? I'm in my 26th year of teaching. I've done elementary school general music, 14 years as a high school band director where I did marching band, jazz band and school musicals. I'm now teaching grade 4-6 instrumental music in 2 schools. Both of my Holiday programs are done and I'm looking forward to the small vacation coming up. What about the rest of you? Merry Christmas all.
    Live Long and Prosper

The black is the notes, the white is the the black!!

'When you're sleeping, someone else is practicing.'"-Herb Alpert

Clarksville, Tennessee, U

Re: Music Educators

I am in a very similar place in life. I didn't teach after college. I student taught in a St. Louis city school in '77. After that I said, "no way, not me. I'll go to jail for slugging a kid". So I played in R & B bands and waited tables and learned instrument repair, and generally bummed around for a few years. Then I got married and went back to school for my masters +. Now I've been teaching 26 years. 7 years at a K-12 where I taught all music-- K-6 general music, beginner band, 7-8th grade band, high school band, marching band, jazz band, pep band, high school chorus (zoo choir). Now I teach middle school band. I love it. 6 periods of band. An after school select band and an after school jazz band, just because I want to do it. Great kids, great parents. I don't think I'll ever want to retire.
    "Music is a fire in your belly that has to come out of your mouth, so you'd better put a horn in the way before someone gets hurt"
    1949/50 Super Recording
    1949 Martin Committee
    1947 Olds Super
    Olds Super/Ultrasonic trumpet
    Olds Recording trumpet
    Olds Mendez
    Olds L-12
    Conn 40B
    Eclipse MR scratch gold
    Bach 37
    Scherzer Picc
    Buescher Mdl 15 Cornet in Bb/C/A (Dad's old horn)
    Boston 3 Star Ne Plus Ultra
    Natural trumpet hand made by my friend Howard Scudder

Pianissimo User

Majored in chemistry in undergraduate school. Enjoyed music so much that I managed to acquire minor in music. Later completed BA music requirements. Worked in chemistry till I retired a few years ago. Along the way in the world of work, I picked up a MS. Since I retired I've not washed a test tube, collected a sample or wrote a report. I have resumed playing, assisted with a middle school band (no pay), played with a community band and practiced a lot. Probably can tell where my interst have resided. However, I do know a lot of people in music education who are as burned as I was in science. Strangely, I have maintained a lot of technical contacts on a personal basis.

I have been a Middle School and and orchestra director for 38 years

Mezzo Piano User

In my 14th year as a HS Band Director.

Mezzo Piano User
    Marcellus, NY

I've bee a band director since 1980. I've taught at all levels and am now teaching fifth, sixth, and seventh grade bands. Gotta love teaching!

Alberta, Canada

Hi everyone,

I'm in my 21st year of teaching instrumental music, the last ten teaching high school. Along the way I have had to teach various other subjects to fill out my schedule including math, social studies and health classes. About 7 years in, I wanted out of teaching badly. At that point I loved music too much to try and teach it. Needless to say I managed to get through and now really love what I do. I have a wonderful and supportive school administration, amazing parent involvement and support and generally, great kids to work with.

What helped me get through those tough times more than anything was the realization that my primary role is teaching kids. I'm just fortunate enough to be able to do it through music. Our program certainly has an ample share of "hardware" in display cases but that really isn't what is most important. My goal is to teach kids to love and value the arts and make it a life-long approach to living on some level.

So... having 'bared my soul' to a certain degree, why do you all teach music?

Seasons greetings!

1937 Bach New York Bb L 25
    1945 Bach New York Bb ML 37
    1962 Bach Mt. Vernon Bb ML 37*
    1985 Bach Vindabona Bb MLV 72
    1991 Bach Anniversary Edition CL 229G
    2004 Bach 72*/43 Bb ML
    1946 Martin Committee M Bb
    1949 Olds Super Bb
    1962 Olds Recording Bb ML
    1946 Conn Coprion 12B Bb
    1962 Reynolds Contempra Cornet
    1964 Bach Mt. Vernon 165 Flugel
    Getzen Super Deluxe Bb
    2011 Bach Artisan Piccolo
    Van Laar Model 2 Flugel
    Yamaha 631 Flugel
    One very understanding husband.

I am a high school student in Eden Prairie, Minnesota, and I've been trying to set up my future in Music Education. I've been doing Post-Secondary work at the University of Minnesota taking theory and ear training, I'm also a huge music history nerd, and getting lessons with Dr. David Baldwin and the UMN Trumpet Choir.

I've also been directing my Wind Ensemble once or twice a week in a piece I will be conducting in concert in Mid-January (Air for Band by Frank Erickson) and I'm in Minnesota Youth Symphonies and all that stuff.

My real passion isn't in playing but in teaching/mentoring/leading. I volunteer on Thursdays for many hours to help out the huge Somali population here who are enrolled in a program through the local church to get homework help and mentorship. I just love to help out people in general, and I (for now) know that Music Education is what I want to do.

I have been/am so fortunate and so lucky to be mentored by people like Manny & Claudette Laureano, Dr. David Baldwin, Craig Kirchhoff, Dr. Liz Jackson, and I intend to become the best I can be in Music Education...

My only hope is that I don't get burnt out.

Well, I am so fortunate to be in a community of veteran music educators!

Merry Christmas!

Bach Strad. 37
    Early Chicago C Model Monette

Pianissimo User
    Franklin, Pa

When I was a senior in high school, I got a personal invite to attend the local college to be part of the trumpet program, as my reputation was very good in this part of Pa. But, like a dumb-ass, I chose to decline and enter in to the rock and roll field,playing guitar, not trumpet.What a huge mistake!! Ive been beating myself up for 32 years because I made a STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOpid mistake!! I'd give a vital organ to be a high school band director!!! Anyone reading this that may be a high school student debating on your future-GO TO COLLEGE!!!!! Ive regretted my bad choice everyday for 32 years!

Thread Information