Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Music Majors in the General forums; I'd like to hear about anyones experiences majoring in trumpet in college or a conservatory setting, where you are today, ...
    New Friend
    Pittsburgh PA

Music Majors

I'd like to hear about anyones experiences majoring in trumpet in college or a conservatory setting, where you are today, what jobs you have had.

Seattle, WA

Re: Music Majors

Dropped out after the first two years, quit playing, fell in with the wrong crowd, and became an attorney

1953 Mt. Vernon Strad 37 Cornet
    1966 Burbank Benge Eb/D
    1975 LA Benge 3x+
    1976 Strad 37*
    1978 LA Benge C
    1980 LA Benge 3x

Ummm... Received my BM in Music Education from Texas Tech. About to finish a Master's in Trumpet Performance here at Wyoming. Going to get a job for a year or two and then think about a DMA or PhD of some sort. What jobs have I had? Mowing lawns, Flipping burgers... wait, is that not what you want to hear? lol.

I have had the priviledge to play some great folks such as Ingrid Jensen, the Temptations, Marvin Stamm, Eddie Henderson, blah blah blah. College has been a great place for me personally and I'm really kinda sad I'll have to go to the "real" world. Now... if I can just find a job. I would go military but my fiance has a thing about me enlisting (long story, previous relationship, etc)....
    The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts.
    -C. S. Lewis

Life is about learning; when you stop learning, you die. -Tom Clancy

And the seven angels which had the seven trumpets prepared themselves to sound.
    -Revelation 8:6

Central Florida

I was originally a music ed/ trumpet major... sat 1st chair in just about every group I was in from high school through my first three years of college. Really thought I'd make a career out of it...

Then, I burned out following a bad breakup with a girl I had moved out of state with (never a good idea, btw!). I dropped out of school and put down my horn for several years.

Fast-forward ~15 years to today: I work as a Network Engineer for a large communications company & make music with a classic rock cover band on the weekends (I also play the guitar).

After picking up my horn again to cover some brass-heavy songs that the band is doing, I've found that playing the trumpet is FUN again! I've been devoting 3-5 hours per week ever since trying to get my chops back in shape...
    "Life is something like a trumpet. If you don't put anything in, you won't get anything out."
    ~ William Christopher Handy

degree from a name brand music school, afterwards went to Germany in an Army Band in Stuttgart, met the "right" people to secure a solid freelance base next to my systems analyst job. In music school I learned the mechanics, but it wasn't until Germany that I was able to add the "musicality" factor. The germans that I have worked with have a much stronger differentiation with things like phrasing, articulation and musical line than any of my profs did.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Got my degree from a well known Canadian Jazz school.
    I am now finishing up my diploma in instrument repair (will be done in 30 days!)
    I have secured a full time job in Toronto repairing band instruments. This gives me time to freelance at night should I be so lucky.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' until you do suck-a-seed. ~ Clark Terry

Trumpet Maker

Pianissimo User
    Melbourne, Australia

Currently in my final year of my 3-year Bachelor of Music degree. Current plan is to do an Honours year, followed by a Masters, all rounded off with a post-graduate diploma of education. I

I'm currently teaching trumpet and a small band at a catholic girl's school, which is working out to be a really nice job. The students are all really keen.
    Last edited by Graham; 03-30-2009 at 10:47 PM. Reason: thought it was last year lol
    Bach Strad 37 Bb
    Bach Strad 229 25 C
    Bach Strad 182 Flugel
    Scherzer Meister Piccolo (New Toy!)
    Yamaha YCR-731 Bb Cornet
    Getzen Custom 3850 Bb Copper Bell Cornet
    Kanstul 1531 Bb Cornet
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb Soprano Cornet
    King 606 Trombone
    Getzen Caravelle Single Bb French Horn

Atlanta, Georgia

3rd year in my major, of what is now going to be 6 (i hate piano and it puts you a year behind each time you don't pass a section, at this school) If you can live past college i imagine it will be great, but I can't stand most of the people in our music department, and i think the favor is returned. I would definitely recommend that you do your research on the school you are going to be at, and try and find out policies that you may not agree with. I know there are a lot here and they are about to close a lot of the loopholes that I was beginning to take advantage of. Here they require 6 semesters of large ensemble, but there is an unwritten rule that if you are Ed then you HAVE to be in concert band and that orchestra doesn't count as your large ensemble, a flaw which got shoved in my face and is now going to be re-written for next years hand book because i am the first one to ever take note of it. Needless to say, I would be going somewhere else if I had the money, a place with a better program and more enjoyable ensembles, and hopefully less red-tape.
    - Getzen 300 Series Bb
    - ZeuS Guarnarius Polished Copper Bb - Wick 3C, GP
    - 1918 Conn New Wonder Cornet Bb/A
    - NYTC Stage 1 California C Silver

Montreal Qc Canada

Attended McGill back in 87-92. Got side tracked from school since I was gigging all the time and everywhere. Did the studio thing, salsa/meringue thing, circus thing, cruise thing and closed down one of the last great Bavarian Halls (Old Munich) east of Germany here in Montreal. Left the business for family life and currently work as Finance manager in a car dealership. Started playing again 4 years ago after putting my horn away for 12 years. More than ever I'm enjoying myself playing in a community Jazz band where we practice weekly and perform 5-8 concerts a year!
    Celebration Bflat by Flip Oakes
    Early Yamaha Flugel prototype(Guido Basso)
    GR and Stork mouthpieces

Mezzo Forte User

BM and MM from a school with a great trumpet studio. The most important thing is that you have a good teacher that you enjoy working with. Your success or lack of success after you leave school will largely depend on how hard and smart you work. Just finishing a performance degree doesn't automatically mean you can compete with experienced working pros.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information