Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Musty smelling horn and case in the General forums; Thanks for the tips, sounds like another bath and Fabreeze are on the to do list....

Re: Musty smelling horn and case

Thanks for the tips, sounds like another bath and Fabreeze are on the to do list.
    Olds Ambassador(only one left, need more)
    King Silver Flair - main horn
    Selmer Cornet

Amatuers practice till they get it right, Professionals practice till they can't get it wrong.

Mezzo Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by oldlou View Post
    My wife just read these postings and told me that she had deodorized a couple of my cases wiothout telling me. She used Fabreze. It works a treat.

I second that. I had a Martin C Melody Tenor that stank to high heaven.
    Since sax pads don't like baths, I decided to try Febreze. It worked great, but it did require several applications to the case and sax to fully eliminate the odor. The Martin was silver plated so no laquer issues. I don't know how it will interact with laquer, but I think it's pretty mild stuff. But you never know.

Piano User
    Swift Current, Sask. Canada

I have had better success with very musty cases with a product called Microban. I found it online used by auto detailers to remove the smell of smoke or mildew or dead stuff. Its actually pretty inexpensive too.

"Swift Current - where we're neither swift nor current"

Stockton, California

I just bought a Phaeton on Ebay. Love the horn. It is replacing my Mendez that I used with my Mariachi group. But, when the Phaeton arrived, the case stunk to high heaven. I'm hoping it is not mold growing beneath the lining. The case is new and really nice. Large compartment for all my mutes. Made in Costa Rica. The previous owner said he did not smell anything when he sent it to me. But, I'm sure his nose is a bit longer for saying that. My wife put some cedar blocks in the case two days ago and I smelled it this morning and the horrendous odor is starting to go away. Of course, the horn has some of the smell. But, I intend to have it chemically washed, so that will go away. I have been keeping it away from the case until the odor from the case is eliminated. If I can't eliminate it then it must be mold. So, I'll just throw it away and buy another one. I'm not going to take it apart to try to clean it. I'm just thrilled with the trumpet and the smooth-as-silk, Monel valves. The brushed finish gives it a unique, warm sound. The contract manufacturer is Kanstul, FYI.
    Last edited by mariachitesoro; 09-25-2008 at 01:45 PM. Reason: mispelled word

Heart of Dixie

Quote Originally Posted by oldlips48 View Post
    Sunlight really helps with mildew. pick a nice sunny day and leave the case opened facing the sun for a few hours. Might take a few times but it should help.
    That works pretty well. I once bought a horn from a heavy smoker, and it and the case stunk. I cleaned the horn and it was fine, but the case still smelled like smoke. Leaving it open, outside on a number of warm, sunny days finally got rid of the smell.
    gordonfurr1 likes this.
    Olde Towne Brass

Brass Band of Huntsville

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

Ohio, USA

I would recommend a new case as well or place cedar chips in it. My case has had an antique smell since the day my mother bought it brand new 30 years ago! I actually have gotten used the scent and rather enjoy it now for it brings memories, but when my case is in the sun, the smell tends to worsens and you can even begin to smell it when it's closed! The cedar chips (if you like the smell of cedar wood) could also potentially help make the cornet smell better too. I transferred a students Cornet in my case while putting mine in theirs so I could clean their horn and it was already starting to smell like my case. I won't put the horn in the case it's time to go back. But I heard that placing cedar chips, if you like the smell of them, in the case. Maybe keep some sort of smelly thing, such as a car air freshener, like those tree shapes ones, and leave it in the case. It's not liquid or anything so it won't leave the case feeling crusty on the inside or residue on your horn. Some slide greases also smell bad which could potentially add to it.
    ~King Cleveland 602 Cornet
    ~Eterna by Getzen Flugelhorn
    ~King 1120 Mellophone
    ~Geminhardt Transverse C Student Flute
    ~Armstrong Transverse C Flute
    ~Powell Sonarč 505 Transverse C flute with B footjoint
    ~Jupiter CXL CTR-60 Trumpet
    ~ Holton French Horn
    ~Getzen 300 series Eb Trumpet
    ~ Getzen 400 series Shepherds Crooked Cornet
    ~Reynolds Contempora '63 Double Horn in F
    ~King 2269 Double Horn in F

The Wide Brown Land

The car deodorisers do not work - they make the case smell worse in my opinion. Try carefully putting a small container with Vanilla Essence and a little bit of water in the case for a couple of days - I haven't done this - but it removes paint smells in a room freshly painted, and from an old fridge. Thinks, I might try this on my tenor horn case - it's a bit horrible - might even leave the horn in there too.

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

My trick is to place a zip lock type bag in which I've punched holes and in which I place a Bounce laundry drying sheet. I keep these in every case I have. Works for me, and with COPD I don't need anything that smells.
    gordonfurr1 likes this.

Lagos, Nigeria

Quote Originally Posted by jcstites View Post
    ...Try a bath with a little vinegar in it.

Better still, dampen with neat white vinegar and airdry for a couple of days. Then apply your preferred perfume.
    gordonfurr1 likes this.
    Bb Trumpets: Yamaha YTR-6335HSII - Flip Oakes "Wild Thing" - 1972 Getzen Eterna "Severinsen" - 1980 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign Studio - B&S 3005 WTR-L - 1963 Besson 10-10 - Monke Mystery Horn - Spiri Vario
    C Trumpet: Inderbinen Alpha 200
    Bb Bass: 1961 Holton #58 "Symphony"

Wyrd oft nereš unfågne eorl, žonne his ellen dėah.

"Pypes, trompes, nakers, clariounes, that in bataille blowen blody sounes"

Vienna, Austria, Europe

And interestingly enough, no one of the last three replicants noticed that the thread was seven years old... and contained quite a bit of OldLou's wisdom...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information