Trumpet Discussion Discuss Mutes outlawed by Hitler! in the General forums; An odd but true fack. I thought some of you would find this interesting. The following is, translated from German, ...
    Pianissimo User

Mutes outlawed by Hitler!

An odd but true fack. I thought some of you would find this interesting. The following is, translated from German, an official ruling from the Nazi Law books circa late '30's. I wish I had more specific info but I am trying and will post that if it comes:

"Strictly forbidden is the use of instruments alien to the German spirit (e.g. so-called cowbells, flex-a-tone, brushes, etc.) as well as all mutes which turn the noble sound of brass-wind instruments into a Jewish-Freemasonic yell (so-called wa-wa, in hat, etc.)"

I do agree about the "Noble Sound of brass-wind instruments" But the rest? By the way, the "Flex-a-tone" is an odd ball instrument itself and was invented to fill the gap when a good Saw Player could not be found. For more info, see http://sawlady.virtualave.net/flexatone.htm

I know and have worked with the SawLady quite a bit, she is also shown playing in the new comedy film "Dummy"

In case someone is interested...
    -dH

New Friend
    I gotta say that this is a really odd fact, but somewhat funny and interesting!

Thanx to provide us such info!
    -= 709 royal canadian air cadet squadron brass instructor =-

Pianissimo User

you're right

sometimes it's important to be odd...

Fortissimo User
    This topic brings back a memory of my *first* trumpet teacher. He was a school band teacher who was on "stress leave" for a year. My wife worked with his wife which is how I got hooked up with him in the first place. His primary instrument was saxophone (I won't hold that against him), but over the years he had acquired two or three nice old brass bits including an Olds flugelhorn and an old tuba. Now this tuba was really something; marching size, unlacquered, patinaed with age. In fact it still has the engraving on it that indicates it was from Erwin Rommel's Afrika Korps band! An amazing old chunk of metal that could make the whole house rattle!

No, he wouldn't sell it to me. Nor would he sell the flugelhorn (which is what I really lusted after).

Thread Information