Trumpet Discussion Discuss my audition in the General forums; I just got back from my ASU School of Music audition, and I'm fairly happy with how I played. Normaly ...
    Mezzo Piano User trumpet blower88's Avatar
    Flagstaff, AZ

my audition

I just got back from my ASU School of Music audition, and I'm fairly happy with how I played. Normaly I would get very nervous before auditions, but the brass faculty there made it a real comfortable setting and they were all real nice.

It started off with my music education interview, that went real well. I told her my story about why I wanted to be a music teacher, and it almost brought her to tears. I clapped out some basic rythems and did some listening/singing skills with the piano, all that went great, I had one little slip trying to sing a minor sixth or some crazy interval like that.

Then I took my music theory exam. out of 96 question I only missed 6. It was asking for the parallel minor or a major key, and I had a brain fart and answerd with the reletive minor, so I got those wrong.

Then the biggie, my audition for the brass faculty. I started off with the Hummel, it went alright. I was having a bit of trouble getting some of the top line F's to speak, for some reason when I get nervous that particular note never seems to respond correctly. But by the time I got to the second movment it started to settle down and worked out fairly well. The ear training was a breeze, someone would play a note on the piano and I matched it on my horn, I got all of them on the first or second try with the exception of a low C# wich just never came untill he suggested I try 1, 2 and 3, then it worked! Then came sightreading, I've never been a great sightreader so this is what I was most nervous about, I looked it over and got the pitches in my head and everything just seemed to work like it should, I don't know what I did differant than usualy but it whent great this time, maybe just lucky timeing that it would be good for the one audition that really ment something.

The thing that surprised me was that they never asked to hear my scales. We got to the end and I thought scales were comming up, but then he just said, "well, that was nice, you'll hear from us in a week or so." And it was over. On the way home I got to thinking though. Is it a good or bad thing they didn't ask for scales? The three kids that went before me all played 5 or 6 scales, but I didn't have to play any. Maybe they thought I was awful and didn't want to here me even attempt to play anymore, but maybe they thought I was great and that they already made up their minds that I was so good they didn't need to bother with scales! Or, maybe I'm just thinking about it too much....

So, that was my day.
    -David Jacques

Re: my audition

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet blower88
    Or, maybe I'm just thinking about it too much....
    Yup. Sounds like you had a great day, don't read too much into anything. Take a vacation, it sounds like you've worked pretty hard...

Forte User
    Atlanta, GA
    Congratulations on a successful audition TB88. Enjoy the feeling of the accomplishment and don't drive yourself crazy replaying the experience in your head. It is done. Your hard work is done (for this challenge). Now the waiting begins. I wish you all the luck in the world and I hope you are accepted. Reward yourself for your work with something you enjoy. You deserve it.

Palm Desert
    I'll let you in on a secret. When I was teaching at the University of Texas, the folks we asked to play scales were the ones we weren't quite sure about after their audition. Relax, you're in.
    Geoff Winstead
    Author of The Real Way to Play the Cat Anderson Trumpet Method - A Step by Step Approach to the Upper Register

Yamaha 6310ZS Shew
    Conn Connstellation 38B
    FoKus Artist Model 10.5

Forte User
    Northern New York
    88- Sounds like you had a great audition. Congratulations! You've done your part, now it's up to them. If you feel you played your best and showed them your potential, you should hold your head high. Really, what they are looking for is the POTENTIAL. They want to know if you are a good investment for them; if you are moldable; if you will be a positive reflection on their institution and if you will fit in. I happy for you and hope all works in your favor. Keep us posted!
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

Tempe, Arizona

I'm glad to hear that all went well! Eventually, many of the Hickman students end up subbing with Mesa Symphony. I've been fortunate to sit by many of them over the years. Soon it will be your turn! I look forward to that day!

Take care,
    Derek Reaban
    Tempe, Arizona

It sounds to me like your audition went very well. No one is perfect and while you did have a minor bobble or two, it sounds like you just nailed about 90% of everything they asked. You proved that you have talent, you have a good ear, that you are willing to work hard and that you already have a fairly broad general knowledge of music and music theory.

I'll hold my congratulations until you actually hear whether or not you are in, but from your description, it sounds pretty good to me!
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Thread Information