Like Tree47Likes
  • 26 Post By Churchman
  • 2 Post By Sidekick
  • 4 Post By Churchman
  • 1 Post By trickg
  • 5 Post By gmonady
  • 7 Post By Dale Proctor
  • 2 Post By larry tscharner
Trumpet Discussion Discuss My First gig! in the General forums; Someone heard me practising in the hall I use. They asked me who it was 'because they sound good', and ...

My First gig!

Someone heard me practising in the hall I use. They asked me who it was 'because they sound good', and when I said it was me they asked me to do a gig for them! I did it tonight. A solo gig, with no other musicians. I played accompanying a choir with an audience of about 100. All went well, and because it was outdoors I was so cold (and got so damp) I didn't feel any nerves.

It all went well, and people loved it. Wey-hey!

Now to fill in a bit, I played six pieces. Silent Night; While Shepherds watched; We wish you a merry; Twinkle twinkle little; and couple of others similar to the last. None of the choir were over 4. The audience was made up of their parents. So they were bound to think it was great.

Having got to the truth, however, they are taking a collection for a charity of my choosing instead of paying me (going to a local hostel my church support) and the collection already had notes in it when I left!

The moral of the story, someone will love you, even if it's someone else's mum and dad.
    Conn Vintage 1BR-50
    Selmer Manhattan
    Antoine Courtois C 125L

Mezzo Piano User
    London UK

Re: My First gig!

That sounds like a brilliant first gig.

Playing in front of a live audience is always tricky, especially kids who are likely to tell you what they think. Very well done.
    Bay Area Brass and neal085 like this.
    Is it true that cannibals won't eat clowns because they taste funny?

The kids seemed to love it!

Did I add, (no), that as it is my first solo gig, and at the age of only 52, there should be 50 or 60 years more joy to come
    Conn Vintage 1BR-50
    Selmer Manhattan
    Antoine Courtois C 125L

Good on you! Congratulations!

I've always marveled at the practice room player - for me, it has always been about making and sharing music with others, so my entire music life has been very gig oriented, and it's what keeps me working on my craft.

Q: How do you get to Carnegie Hall?
    A: Practice!

Keep up the good work!
    neal085 likes this.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Dayton, Ohio

Kids do love it. You have offered to them so much more than background music. You offered them mentor-ship. You have become a role model. You have achieved great things in the eyes of a child. This is one of the greatest gifts you can give in this Holiday system. Thanks for sharing this Churchman, as you are truly blessed.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

Heart of Dixie

Congrats. Some of my most enjoyable playing the past couple years has been beside a Salvation Army kettle during this season. No pay, no audience per se, but satisfaction in helping support a good cause. To me, all those old Christmas songs just sound right when played on a cornet at a street corner.
    Olde Towne Brass

Brass Band of Huntsville

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

dubuque iowa

Great story! So true about the Salvation Army kettles. Every year we try to put together at least four brave souls to play outside....for me, the colder it is, the better I like it. Two or three times a season gives me my yearly dose of Christmas cheer. Just last night I played with the Loras College Wind Ensemble for their much more traditional event, no 'Jingle Bells' there but the music truly hit the spot for me. Technically easy but highly difficult to make sound beautiful. Two and a half hours of readings, choirs singing in Latin (or whatever) and our five pieces and I was ready to pee...sorry to be so graphic. It is an extremely large church so our director gave us the green light to "pull out all of the stops" as the organists would say, and fill the room with some shimmering brass when called for. We had a great time. Best wishes.
    Ursa and Churchman like this.
    Larry tscharner!
    M J Klashen The Yankee 1923
    Concertone, Czech made, pre war
    Olds Ambassador Cornet 1955

Olds Super Trumpet 1966
    Yamaha 8335 Xeno 2008
    Getzen 900s Eterna Classic 2009

Thread Information