Trumpet Discussion Discuss My fun day at the university! in the General forums; So today I had a little private audition/lesson with Dr. Sullivin, the Assistant Director of Music Education at Arizona State ...
    Mezzo Piano User trumpet blower88's Avatar
    Flagstaff, AZ

My fun day at the university!

So today I had a little private audition/lesson with Dr. Sullivin, the Assistant Director of Music Education at Arizona State University. She has helped me out so much the last couple months getting ready for ASU with applications, advice, and help with audition material. This morning I went in and played some scales and ran though my solo, the Hummel Trumpet Concerto. She was very impressed with my playing, she told me I am playing a harder solo better than most sophmores in the program would play an easier solo, and that as long as I play like that at my audition I'll have no problem getting into the school of music, and maybe even Professor Hickman's trumpet studio. I think what impressed her most wasn't my playing, but my knowlege about the solo I'm playing, like what to do where, even if its not printed on the page. I've been studying this score inside and out for about 3 months now, I know it forwards, backwards, upside down, and in every key, and it's paid off in the end aslong as I can perform as well at my audition on the 18th as I did earlier today. She told me that she is going to do everything she can do on her side of the equasion to get me in.

I think I'm in a pretty good position.
    I'm excited...
    Better get back to practicing!
    -David Jacques

Forte User
    Atlanta, GA
    Hip hip hooray! Congrats! I am sure you will do fine on your audition. Keep us posted!

That's the way to do it!!! The Hummel is a very difficult solo, and I think in many ways a lot more interesting than the Haydn. It's easy to focus on the technical aspects of a piece and the musical aspects of the trumpet part. Going the extra step and learning more about the piece, its accompaniment, history, etc, is commendable, and I'm sure the extra work will not go unrewarded. Good luck with your audition, I've heard very good things about both the school and the Hickman.

Tempe, Arizona

That's great news! I'm glad your hard work is paying off. All of the Hickman students that I have had the chance to sit beside in ensembles have been fantastic. I hope it works out for you!

On a related topic, everything that I have read from Dave is just exceptional. He thinks through everything so clearly and expresses his ideas in a way that is easy to grasp the concepts. If you are interested, I can loan you my five volume set of Trumpet Lessons With David Hickman. Seeing these ideas in print before you start working with him may give you some additional insights about why he is so sought after as a teacher.
    Derek Reaban
    Tempe, Arizona

Thread Information